Thread: VueScan and Epson V750

VueScan and Epson V750

I searched the forum, and was overwhelmed with entries for V750 and VueScan, but didn't see any that answered my question.

How do I tell VueScan that I want it to use the 'sharper' lens, that focuses on my better scanning film holder?

I've searched the menus and only see a menu that offers "flatbed, transparency, 8x10 transparency". Is this it? Because my scanned image is extremely soft, much softer than what SilverFast on my old 32-bit machine was giving me.

I'm scanning at 2350spi, 48 bit, scanning Fuji nps160 6x12s.

// Wally

Re: VueScan and Epson V750

I'm wondering if the reason I don't see an option to use the 'high resolution lens" is because VueScan tells me i have an Epson V700 scanner, instead of a V750. I wonder what I have to do to convince it otherwise, if that's the issue.

I think the optuon you need is "Transparency", not "Transparency 8x10". The 8x10 option tells the scanner to use the wider lens that is focused on the scanner glass surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I'm wondering if the reason I don't see an option to use the 'high resolution lens" is because VueScan tells me i have an Epson V700 scanner, instead of a V750. I wonder what I have to do to convince it otherwise, if that's the issue.
    That should not make any difference. The V700 is the same as the V750 except for an anti-reflective coating on the glass that covers the CCD.

The best lens is automatically engaged with the Epson scanner driver when you choose film holder. The other lens is engaged if you choose film area guide. You can actually hear the change from one lens to the other after you make the selection before you do a preview scan.

Does the Vuescan driver offer you the possibility of using film holder or film area guide? If not, the use of the best lens may not be an option with Vuescan.

In the past I have tried both Vuescan and Silverfast with Epson scanners, in the end decided that the Epson driver always worked just as well or better and it has a good interface.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Does the Vuescan driver offer you the possibility of using film holder or film area guide? If not, the use of the best lens may not be an option with Vuescan.
    Sandy King
    No. It does offer the "Transparency or Transparency 8x10" options, so I'm exploring that right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    In the past I have tried both Vuescan and Silverfast with Epson scanners, in the end decided that the Epson driver always worked just as well or better and it has a good interface.
    Sandy King
    I've switched to a 64-bit machine and when I tried to download the Epson scanning software from Epson for 64 bit I had some difficulties. Maybe I need to push that harder.

Thanks, all.

// Wally

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Wally, did you go through the process to adjust the film plane to achieve the best focus with the better scanning system? I believe that will be your best option for sharpness.

Try this search. You might get better results.

vuescan+v750

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    Wally, did you go through the process to adjust the film plane to achieve the best focus with the better scanning system? I believe that will be your best option for sharpness.
    I've got the better scanning film holder, but I'm lucky enough that my standard epson film holder puts the film very close to the right height on my unit (at least for the center of the image, where droop is greatest), so I only use the better scanning holder when I need the image sharp all the way to the edges.

I was using the scanner to good effect on my old 32-bit system with silverfast, but the cost to upgrade was much higher than the price of vuescan, so I bought it for my 64-bit system.