Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlot/Jamin casket set

Re: Darlot/Jamin casket set

I think Geof's stereo will have the same serial number on both barrels - because:

- I own no. 302 which is not the 302 shown in the photo of Corrado's book!

- My set has both 38 and 38 (S) as extra lenses. I guess that one "stack" of Waterhouse Stops has the additional (S), whilst the other was without. I cannot think think of any reason whay, other than it would be easier to check all appropriate sizes in both stacks.

- The stereo set which was split into two in the 19th century (perhaps even by Darlot if sales of ready-made stereo sets was poor), contained one misplaced stop in each of the halves!

Note that there is an additional section on the Darlot Universal on pages 356 - 358, which covers usage very well.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    UPDATE

....it has a radial drive on it...

Never owned one, but I assume these arent radial "drives" that move the inner barrel, but rather a screw that applies friction to lock the barrel in place ? Owners, kindly advise...

thanks
    Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Gandolfi got a bit over-excited some time back - it is just a locking screw! The purpose is not so much keeping the two haves to-gether, but also locking the separation of the cells deciding the degree of Flou (softness).

Another point from earlier in this thread was about a "blank" cell. This fits into the front (position "B") to add a little extra to its appearance when used as a landscape meniscus lens.

You could make an agument for this being the first Casket set made, as well as the first with (claimed) soft adjustment.

not mine - just noticed it, but I think (fear...) you're right...

Emil, Imhave exactly this set in a great leather box with handwritten instructions for the combos..Excellent object

The existance of stereo sets can't really be a surprise.

My 302 has a different layout than most barrels I have see, that is the sequence of flou extension screw, Waterhouse slot and locking knob. When this is mounted on a board, the locking knob points to the left, rather than the right. Not an alternative design for "lefties", but the additional barrel to make up the Stereo pair! And the additional (French/Italian) 302 barrel in Corrado's book is the matching right-hand one!

To prove the point, I give you an image of another set which is obviously not in its original casket. This is the sad remnants of a Stereo set. Note the difference between the incomplete barrels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails universaldarlot.jpg  

Hi Steven, Received the stereo set today and just reading through this thread again. I'll add the following information about my set. There is no (S) on the cells or the barrel. More interesting, the serial numbers are consecutive, 458 & 459. The portrait components are indeed Petzval and the sliding barrel apparatus does indeed separate the front group from the rear indicating a soft focus effect could be achieved. This would be different than how soft focus with Petzvals was achieved later with the Dallmeyer Patent where the two elements of the rear group are separated to create diffusion. The separation of the two groups with the Darlot Casket set portends lenses like the Cooke Portraits, B&L Portrait Unar and Graf Variable. I wonder how well this soft focus feature of this Darlot Casket set will work with rectilinear cells. Has anyone experimented with this feature and could post some results? Glad it arrive. Just lost a lens to shipping, the O. Simon I just purchased, lost by DHL. Doesn't look like it will turn up.

What awful news about the Oskar Simon! I lost a lens from France just a fortnight ago (but not a valuable one - either historically or financially).

I think the Universal has 2 "firsts":

- 1st casket set and
    - 1st "flou"/soft design.

That is, before the Busch Vade Mecum casket set and the Dallmeyer rear cell redesign.

I thought I would add my (#302) data to help users of the search function.

Cells are:

38 (L), 38 (S), 27, 17, 13 (cm)

Waterhouse Apertures are:

33, 29, 22 (a replacement stop), 18, 15, 12, 9, 7, 5 (mm)

One of the minor points of interest with the Darlot Universal is that they have low Darlot serial numbers!

The front achromat, the rear thick edged flint and all the extra landscape meniscus lenses, are mounted in turned-over brass. However, it was possible for me to find a date on the sealed flint glass using a mirror reflection! 67 for 1867. The usual date given to the introduction of this set is 1866, so 1867 seems reasonable. My Universal (#302) has the small text saying Jamin above. Which means that the connection with Jamin was continued much later than is usually suggested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darlot lens writing 001.jpg  

renes

Can this Darlot be a part of casket set? What is this small screw for seen on second photo?

Attachment 132286 Attachment 132287