Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HC110 Dilution H

Re: HC110 Dilution H

Anyone know a good stand development time for FP4 shot at 60? I'm coming up blank, but about to guess at 15 minutes.

When using high dilutions of developers, one should seriously consider using the "still development" technique to really take advantage of your now (very) long developing times.

Steve Sherman
    https://www.powerofprocesstips.com/
    please pipe in on this thread.

Am slowly in the process of converting to this developing technique for some of my negatives. Especially to be soon trying it out with 120 film that's shot in a panoramic pinhole camera... will post the results.

If "still development" is the same as what I call "stand development", then I've been doing more than considering it. I've been doing it for over 10 years. I put the film in the dev, and do not agitate after the first minute, at all. Does anyone have exposure time comments? I just tried two sheets at 15 min, they came out pretty nice, in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    When using high dilutions of developers, one should seriously consider using the "still development" technique to really take advantage of your now (very) long developing times.

Steve Sherman
    https://www.powerofprocesstips.com/
    please pipe in on this thread.

Am slowly in the process of converting to this developing technique for some of my negatives. Especially to be soon trying it out with 120 film that's shot in a panoramic pinhole camera... will post the results.
    Greg: Steve's EMA technique requires a great deal of dilution and volume of developer so you will need a larger tank for a single roll (vs a single roll tank), but totally worth all the failed experiments I endured for the education. His entire approach begins at exposure and each image is then developed to control/compress highlights and maximize mid tone separation in the final print. So keep that in mind for each shot you take, and let your first couple of shots dictate the zonal placement for the rest of the shots on the roll. You can get similar edge effects by using a more normal dilution, but few agitations, depending on developer of choice. The Cachetol based family of developers is especially good for infrequent agitation schemes. When Sandy introduced Pyrocat HD he even recommended agitations spaced at two minutes.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

But back to HC110, dilution H....negs came out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Greg: Steve's EMA technique requires a great deal of dilution and volume of developer so you will need a larger tank for a single roll (vs a single roll tank)
    Tank for processing roll of 120 film is PVC 3" I.D. 3.5" O.D. and 3 feet tall. Initial trial run was disastrous with makeshift end cap falling off. Now awaiting delivery of Sioux Chief Test Titan pipe plug fittings from LOWES. Went to 3 local LOWES stores. Online they were in stock with 2+ available in each of the stores, but in fact none of the stores had them in stock. So much for online store inventory stats.

I like HC110 dilution H.

Answer: "I like tacos!, here's my recipe"

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I like HC110 dilution H.

Answer: "I like tacos!, here's my recipe"
    HC-110 taste terrible on tacos - no matter the dilution. Its a nice film developer for most things. I never liked it with Delta 100 or HP5 because my shadows came out clear most of the time and it was usually muddy in the middle.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography