Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Horseman 45FA vs. Master Technika

Re: Horseman 45FA vs. Master Technika

After extensive experience with small and medium format photography, I bought my first LF camera in 2000. I wanted the best camera for my needs, and after looking at many LF cameras, I settled for a Linhof Master Technika Classic.

After using a Technika, I was never in the least bit tempted to buy another brand of LF camera. I have not however remained monogamous, and I now have several Linhof cameras - some more specialized than the MT Classic (MT 3000, Technar). I use lenses from 58mm to 300mm.

If I had to do it all over again, I would start with the excatly the same LF camera - the Linhof Master Technika.

Good luck with your quest!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Mas View Post
    One last question (again, remember I'm starting in this world and am a complete neophite). The Linhof comes calibrated with "cams" (not a clue what that is or what the are used for), while the Horseman comes "out of the box". Do I need those cams for the Horseman too?
    To expand on what Brian said, the cam is a user-interchangeable component that governs the way the movement of the focusing bed is coupled to the movement of the rangefinder mechanism. For the rangefinder to work properly with different lenses, each lens needs a cam carved with a distinct shape that corresponds to its focal length.

Cams are specific to a particular model/type of camera - Linhof uses one type for its late-model 4x5 Techinka cameras, Horseman a different one for its 6x9cm VH-R camera.

If you're not going to use the rangefinder on a Technika, you don't need to worry about cams. And the Horseman 45FA doesn't have a rangefinder at all, so no cams.

My first LF camera was a 45FA (purchased "used"). It was a nice camera, but I found it limiting in its bellows range, and I found the movements a bit too convoluted for my taste. The back movements are there but difficult to use. If you want to use a little front fall, you need to drop the bed, and then apply a lot of front rise. Also be aware that lenses that have a rear cell larger than 2.5" will not be able to be used. I have not used a Master Technika so I don't know if you would encounter the same issues or not.

I eventually sold the 45FA and purchased a camera with more intuitive/logical movements and with more bellows range.

You might also consider getting a "trainer". Some will laugh but a simple studio monorail like a Cambo, Sinar, Toyo for under $500 would work well.

The advantage is that they all have a full range of generous, easy to access and use movements in all directions. With these I think you are more apt to experiment and learn how the movements work -- one glance and you can see where things are at and how far they've been moved, etc. You're not all cramped up and compromising over weight/bulk trade-offs.

And after you "get your legs" you'll have an inexpensive back-up/alternative good for close work, or you can sell it and recoup your money. In the end you'll probably end up with a high-quality field camera that will be easier to carry, but this way you'll understand the trade-offs and compromises between the various designs.

Think of it as being a 16-year old learning to drive. You'd want to be a big old Buick, not a Turbo Mini-Cooper, right?

And from a practical, frugal point of view, for less than the cost of the Horseman, you could set yourself up with a very nice Sinar F2 or P studio camera and also have a Crown Graphic or Wista or Tachihara lightweight field camera for travel and packing.

Horseman you'll be limiting yourself to using a normal lens no longer than about 210mm, which is about the equivalent of 70-80mm with a 35mm camera.
    Hi I use a 300 mm APO Ronar on my Horseman with a extention board, I have not even to expand the back for up to 10 m!

Cheers Armin

Quote Originally Posted by Armin Seeholzer View Post
    Hi I use a 300 mm APO Ronar on my Horseman with a extention board, I have not even to expand the back for up to 10 m!

Cheers Armin
    Yeah, I started to mention other ways of gaining extension such as a top-hat lens board, a telephoto lens, etc. But then I though "why should he bother?" There are plenty of other cameras out there that take a 300mm and longer lens without the need to mess around with accessories. I'm not knocking the Horseman FA, it's a fine camera. I just think it's a little limiting for a first-time LF photographer. An experienced LF photographer is a different matter. But the OP has certainly heard all the pros and cons by now and can make up his own mind.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Hi guys,

Thanks everybody for the advice. After doing some numbers about other things I want/need to buy, I've come to the realization that the Linhof Master Technika is ut of my budget.

The new dilemma then is: Horseman 45 FA or Toyo Field 45a II ?

I would veeeery much appreciate your help here, as I really want to buy it asap and start shooting!!

Thanks!!

Ps: Please, it's already hard enough to decide between these two, so please do not introduce "new variables" in the equation......

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Mas View Post
    The new dilemma then is: Horseman 45 FA or Toyo Field 45a II ?
    There are no cams to confuse things in this comparison. But the Toyo is comparable in size/weight to a Technika, so the main issue remains the same - compactness and light weight (45FA) vs more flexibility and a wider scope of usability (45AII).

in recent use I found the toyo FA heavier / bulkier than my current horseman 45HF (like Fa but with a fixed back)...lovely geared front rise though. Assuming the FA can take a small lens and be closed up like the HF it's a great set up.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwilson View Post
    in recent use I found the toyo FA heavier / bulkier than my current horseman 45HF (like Fa but with a fixed back)...lovely geared front rise though. Assuming the FA can take a small lens and be closed up like the HF it's a great set up.

The Horseman 45FA can be folded with a 135mm Sironar N mounted.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/