Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Sale/Wanted RSS feeds

Andrew Pogrebennyk

For Sale/Wanted RSS feeds

Is there any way to subscribe to the RSS feeds of the For Sale/Wanted forum only?
    Right now Firefox/Opera open blank page when trying to subscribe to the for sale RSS.. URL is http://www.largeformatphotography.in...S2&forumids=27
    Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still. - Dorothea Lange

Re: For Sale/Wanted RSS feeds

For Sale is excluded from the RSS feeds since it would expose postings to non-members.

Andrew Pogrebennyk

Oh I see.. No problem then.
    Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still. - Dorothea Lange

I just wanted to mention that RSS feeds for the FS section would be really useful, even more than RSS feeds for the general forums. For general discussion, I find myself coming back to threads often to read new responses as threads bubble up to the top of the pile in the "unified view." But for most FS threads I only want to see the thread once when they are posted and then decide if I am interested in what's being offered. This suits the RSS format much better than general threads.

I understand that the RSS ban is meant to prevent outsiders from accessing the FS section but if they are not allowed to post in that forum until a month into their membership (or was it a certain number of posts?), then does it make a difference if a few people can see the forum? I'd love it if the moderators consider enabling RSS for the FS section - I (and I hope many others) would prefer to read that section as RSS and browse the general forums through "unified view."

Thanks,
    Anupam

Anupam, the problem is not the few who would subscribe to RSS feeds for the FS/WTB section, but the fact that to do so, we'd need to open all "Community" sub-forums, which are "private" to members, to world view.

Andrew Pogrebennyk

I did some search in the vBulletin community as to how to restrict some forums from the RSS feed.. not sure, but maybe this could be useful.

Would a RSS feed to the For Sale section create a uneven playing field for those wanting to buy? In other words, would one have to use the RSS feed in order to make sure they are first to hear about the best deals?

I don't know what a RSS feed is, so I am just wondering here.

Man I was thinking the same thing I always miss the good stuff and people on here have been a real pleasure to deal with wish there was a work around...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Would a RSS feed to the For Sale section create a uneven playing field for those wanting to buy? In other words, would one have to use the RSS feed in order to make sure they are first to hear about the best deals?

I don't know what a RSS feed is, so I am just wondering here.
    Quote Originally Posted by viablex1 View Post
    Man I was thinking the same thing I always miss the good stuff and people on here have been a real pleasure to deal with wish there was a work around...
    use the "subscribe to" under forum tools on the top right of the page. then you do not need the rss feed and it all stays private.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Andrew Pogrebennyk

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    use the "subscribe to" under forum tools on the top right of the page. then you do not need the rss feed and it all stays private.
    Thanks for the hint! Email subscription then gmail labels to rss feedburner and then google reader seems to do the trick for now, although not very neat.