Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Sink

Question Darkroom Sink

Ok, I've been looking locally for a used darkroom sink around 72" x 30" (give or take) and I haven't found anything (except for one guy on craigslist who apparently didn't really want to sell his after listing it). I want to get this done, I've been looking for a couple of weeks.

Unless someone out there has one near Albany, NY, I'm looking at the following two options:

Delta II "The Sink" painted ABS plastic 72"x33" with stand and backsplash, delivered for around $700.
    or
    Rosy Products stainless steel sink (a little smaller, 72"x28") with stand and backsplash, delivered for around $850. I could also do a 24"x60" from them for about $700 delivered.

Is the extra money worth the stainless steel?

I don't want to build one either.

David
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Smile Re: Darkroom Sink

Make one -its easy-plus look at the money you will save

Re: Darkroom Sink

http://www.rosyproducts.com/Price%20List.htm really doesn't look like a bad deal. I imagine the shipping is not cheap; probably $200 or more.

I have a locally made stainless steel sink about 6' long. I like it. Mine was a freebie from someone who'd moved and disassembled their darkroom. I'd suggest posting a WTB in the classifieds here or on craigslist if you really don't want a new one.

Previously in another home I had a plastic countertop abutting a plastic utility sink. That was fine too. Both materials were easy to keep clean. I guess it's a personal preference about what material you'd want it made of.

The Rosy Products sinks are very reasonable, but the crating and shipping is where it hurts ($250-$300)...

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    http://www.rosyproducts.com/Price%20List.htm really doesn't look like a bad deal. I imagine the shipping is not cheap; probably $200 or more.

I have a locally made stainless steel sink about 6' long. I like it. Mine was a freebie from someone who'd moved and disassembled their darkroom. I'd suggest posting a WTB in the classifieds here or on craigslist if you really don't want a new one.

Previously in another home I had a plastic countertop abutting a plastic utility sink. That was fine too. Both materials were easy to keep clean. I guess it's a personal preference about what material you'd want it made of.
    David Aimone Photography

Here is a free 7 foot SS darkroom sink (just pay shipping) from Seattle.

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=1182950

I think those are good prices for stainless steel sinks. I doubt they include stands. Nothing beats a nice stainless steel sink so go for it.

If the prices are too high, hire a handyman to build you a sink from plywood and marine epoxy. There are many posts about sink construction so search the forum for ideas. You could make it to your specifications.

I emailed him. We'll see what happens. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DW Ludwick View Post
    Here is a free 7 foot SS darkroom sink (just pay shipping) from Seattle.

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=1182950
    David Aimone Photography

If that sink doesn't work out, another option is to call around to local machinists and/or possibly place a Craigslist ad for quotes on a sink to your specifications. I've seen mention here and there (esp. the epic APUG Darkroom portraits thread) of folks working out very reasonable deals for custom built sinks. The results seem to cheaper and/or vastly superior to the Delta ABS sinks.

I'll share the lesson learned from my own sink quest: it's worth being vigilant and a bit patient in the sink search. I was just about to venture into building my own pair of sinks last year, when an eBay listing came up with exactly what I needed down to the inch. I'm still reeling over the time and energy that saved me...

Another option may be checking the local restaurant supply stores...

Many offer used and budget stainless sinks and tables...

Often even the stainless tables have a three or four inch (upward) lip, plenty deep for a darkroom sink, all that is needed is the addition of a drain...

Just a thought....

Thanks,
    Dan

I have "The Sink II" and it has been fine. Had an issue with the drain, but it wasn't the sink's fault.