Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Madrid

Hello from Madrid

Hi there everybody,

I just wanted to drop a quick line to introduce myself and ask a (probably very stupid) question.

My name is Ramon, I was born in Venezuela but was raised and live in Spain. I started in photography 4 years ago, and I've done things "the other way around": Started with digital to then switch to film . I initially purchased a digi Canon 5D in 2006, then bought a Canon A1 (film) with which I learn the "craft" and fell in love with film and then I set up a small lab at home and bought beautiful Hasselblad 503CW... I'm very happy with the Hassy and get excellent results with it, but have always had LF in mind. A few weeks ago I decided it was about time to "become a man" and, following the advice of a friend, I ordered a (second hand) Linof Master Technika (please tell me I made the right decission!!! ).

Now, here is the stupid question: I'm reaally excited about it, but a few of acquintances are trying to convince me that film, and especially 4x5 sheets, is something to extinguish and won't be around for much longer. That sounds crazy to me, but I don't now much about this world and obviously don't want to spend a fortune on a large LF set, to soon find out that film is no longer available......Should I just not pay attention to those stupid comments..... or is it something that could really happen?

Thanks for your answers and see you around!!

Ps: Excuse my rusty English, haven't used it in a while.....

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Re: Hello from Madrid

Ramon, welcome to our humble little forum. I think anyone who's made the very wise decision to switch to film should be cofident about other upcoming LF decisions, especially if backed by the wise words of forumers...
    4x5 film will probably be around for a while yet. If you are REALLY worried then buy and freeze enough for your lifetime...I'm going tomorrow morning to pick up dozens of boxes of film from my yearly order from Ilford, in sizes WP, 5x12. 7x11 and I expect to be able to do so for a while yet.
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Hola Ramon,
    I don't know if sheet film will disappear or when but the sooner you start, the longer you'll be shooting

Quote Originally Posted by ramiroelena View Post
    Hola Ramon,
    I don't know if sheet film will disappear or when but the sooner you start, the longer you'll be shooting
    hahha, that's indeed an excellent way to look at it. Gracias Ramiro

Richard K, you said "freeze" instead of "refrigerate"......???

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon Mas View Post

Richard K, you said "freeze" instead of "refrigerate"......???

Thanks for the welcome guys.
    Freeze (but zip-lock first) if you won't be using it for a while (a year or longer) and let it thaw completely before removing from Zip-lock. Refrigerate if storing for months. I keep mine in the fridge and remove a box at a time roughly a month before the prior box runs out (to allow it to come to room temperature ). I don't know how old YOU are but I'm pretty confident that sheet film will be around for MY lifetime (but I've apparently achieved geezer status according to my 2 sons). So, what are you waiting for?!?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Welcome to group therepy! As long as there is a little demand, somebody will fill it!

Crystal clear Richard!!. I'm "only" 35, but I'm definitely going to go for it!!

Thanks Vick

I was going to ask if I made a good choice with my recent purchase (a 1981 Master Technika with 90, 150 and 210mm Schneider Kreuznach lenses), but I guess I'l have to look for the correct thread to ask....

Nothing wrong with Technikas and Schneider lenses! Fine equipment.

You got better lenses than I do.

Welcome to the forum.