Thread: 1848 Daguerreotypes Bring Middle America's Past to Life

David J. Heinrich

1848 Daguerreotypes Bring Middle America's Past to Life

These daguerreotypes by Charles Fontayne and William Porter, on September 24th, 1848 at 1:55PM, are phenomenal!

Their daguerreotypes can be looked at at 30x and still look crisp, according to the authors of the article! Incredible for a photograph taken 162 years ago. Check it out yourself: goto the website I link to, which has the article about these masterpieces and their restoration, and drag the little blue box around one of the plates. A view on the right at 10x shows you the detail level.

I'm not so sure about the 30x claim, I think 10x is really about the limit on them from what I see, but still phenomenal for 162 years ago.

Re: 1848 Daguerreotypes Bring Middle America's Past to Life

thanks for posting this. very cool!
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I love seeing stuff like this. The detail is excellent, because it is on a polished metal plate. Thanks for the link!

David J. Heinrich

I wonder...does that give better detail than say you get from a high resolution film like Adox Pan 25 (~330 lp/mm or so, I think) or Kodak Aerographic Panatomic X-II (400-500 lp/mm)?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Instead of silver particles suspended in gelatin, the image is formed on a silver plate. Now, here is the problem: polishing that plate! You can see on the 10x magnification all of the polishing marks. If the plate is polished into a real mirror, then of course you will get better resolution. But you won't be able to print from it!