Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grafmatic - Worth trying?

Grafmatic - Worth trying?

Hi, all -

I'm resurrecting the Neretta, a 4x5 hyperfocal camera I built a while back. Been parted out almost completely; new parts should be arriving starting tomorrow.

Anyway, carrying several holders for a P&S 4x5 was always a drag, but I have zero experience with Grafmatics. On the surface, they seem like they'd be a great advantage. I've read mixed reviews, though.

So I ask: Is a Grafmatic worth the investment for such a camera? How finicky are these things actually?

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Grafmatic - Worth trying?

Absolutely, and not at all (based on the six I have).

I was out hiking yesterday with my calumet wood-field and two grafmatics (one with hp5 and one with delta 100). This was my first time using the wood-field, and I discovered that the grafmatics were a snug fit in it (width not thickness) or maybe I just need to wax up the wood so they slide more easily. Not a problem at all with any of my graflok back equipped cameras. I really don't find them finicky. They're easy to load (from experience, arista ortho-lith tends to fall out and get crushed because its too thin for the septums) and very easy to use. Like everything else of that vintage, make sure you get one in good shape, with six straight, clean septums.

Dan

I agree with the above.
    I love them and have several too.

I love mine. They weigh one pound.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I am another happy user of the Grafmatic.
    A few months ago I used for the first time one I had had in my collection for a few years.. shame on me, originally I was intrigued by the object itself and after understanding how it worked, I neglected to use it.
    The first time I loaded it I had no failure and all shots were good.
    I loaded the grafmatic quietly on a table in a dark room. I had practiced a few times with the light on and off before taking the plunge.
    I would not however recommend to do it in a changing bag, at least for the first time
    Mine has the small wheel with numbers working perfectly.
    A French friend of mine who uses the grafmatic regularly has recommended a kind of Teflon(TM) spray in order to help the mechanism (mosly the septums against the holder parts) to slide more smoothly. The graflatic and its beloved septums is made of alumin(i)um alloy and friction takes place between two alumin(i)um parts, this is far from optimal. Manipulation of the Grafmatic may seem a bit rough, you need to apply some force, but (at least this is my feeling, the model I have in good condition with all septums in good condition) it works fine.

Ok, I'm sold. I'm now officially trolling!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Working a Grafmatic is fast. After all, they were developed for press photographers. The only time that requires care is loading and unloading the septums. The notch end is easy to bend, so just be careful when insterting or removing them.

I used to use them for handheld shooting but I found that I shot too quickly and used too much film. But from a functional point-of-view they are excellent so long as yours is in good condition (most are fine) and personally I think they hold the film a little flatter. They are also more compact than 3 regular holders (but I think the weight is about the same).

As for smoothness, I just rubbed a little beeswax along the moving parts, no big deal.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

If they were not good, then there would not have been so many made.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I have six of 'em and like 'em. They won't fit under some focus panels without shimming out the springs, so be aware of that. They were made to go with the later model Pacemaker Graphic sping back, and the Graflok backs, which have a longer spring travel. They don't go well with the old Anniversary Graphic spring back, much to my dismay. I actually prefer the Anny and the pre-anny cameras and having to put washers under the springs makes 'em too loose when focusing. If you want the cat's pajamas of film holders for Ms. Neretta, get a Graflex back and a bag mag. That'll keep you busy all day, especially if you're lucky enough to find one of the rare 18 shot mags. I have one of those on a 3X4 Speed.