Thread: A Visual Journey

A Visual Journey

In studying Michael Smith's photographs in A Visual Journey, I see much of his w ork is about relationship. How elements co-exist with each other. Tones, texture s, patterns, lines & spaces seen in unusual and interesting ways. I begin to und erstand the meaning of vision and abstraction. I get answers about my own work a nd they trigger more creative outlets for me. In what the book mentioned as ever ything-as-subject, and describing places instead of describing subjects approach es, I realised my growth in seeing had stagnated for a while. I get answers abou t my own work and they trigger more creative outlets for me. To see things "beyo nd illustration" as it said.

I didn't think I was going to enjoy the ultra-large photographs much before the book arrived. But I did. What I see in Smith's images is his effective use of th e 8"x20" format. I tried cropping smaller frames within the long horizonal image s, but never getting anything quite as interesting as his original 8x20s. In a f ormat I reckon is hard to make a strong photograph, he seemed to have done it wi th much ease.

This is not just a monograph. It's about 25 years of a photographer's life.

I have nothing to teach folks here as my exploration in serious photography is r elatively short. But I'd like to share my discovery about this great book with t hose wanting to learn more of non-machanical stuff. It gives me a new direction (at least an alternative one), and I hope it helps you too.

Thank you for listening.

A Visual Journey

Sorry, should read space and not place.

A Visual Journey

If you like Michael's vision then I would highly recommend Michael and Paula's workshop Vision and Technique. I was fortunate enough to take it in August of 2000 and it was the best invesment I have made in my photography. To learn first hand how they use the view camera to see their images will set you on the road to making great images. Check out their website www.michaelandpaula.com if you haven't already. I know they are only giving one workshop this year so you may have to wait but it will be worth it.

A Visual Journey

Don't I feel silly. I am sure you have already seen their web site since it is the only place I know of to purchase their books

A Visual Journey

Hi Aaron,

I'm glad you foumd A Visual Journey useful. The essay by John Bratnober about my career in photography was written with the hopes that it would be useful to others. And then there are the 176 reproductions, of course.

And thank you Bill, for your kind words about our workshop. There are still a couple of places left in the one this September.

If anyone who is reading this wants to buy a copy of Michael A. Smith: A Visual Journey--Photographs from Twenty-Five Years (to give it its full title), which was published on the occasion of my 25-year retrospective at the Eastman House in 1992, mention this posting and Paula and I will give you almost 20% off the $85 price (making the price $70). Add $6 for shipping for a total of $76. And if you don't think it is worth the money return it in perfect condition within 30 days for a full refund (except for the shipping). Fair enough?

A Visual Journey

Michael,

I wnat a copy with your autography. How to order it?

Thanks

A Visual Journey

To order A Visual Journey: Send me an email. We do take credit cards. Can explain more fully in a personal e-mail.

A Visual Journey

Just want to add another point; The reproduction quality is really good.

And a question to Michael; Never seen an Azo print before, is the print tone (a slight colour tint) in the book reproduction similiar to the original Azo print tone?

Thanks.

A Visual Journey

Aaron,

The color of the reproductions in A Visual Journey is not the same as the color of the original photographs despite our best efforts to make it match. It most cases it is not far off, however.

A Visual Journey

Thanks Michael.