Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Backpack?

Large Format Backpack?

Greetings,

I shoot landscapes, either with a 4 X 5 with a Graflex Crown Graphic or a Calume t Cambo NX. I bring the usual handful of small field lenses, 1 dozen film holde rs, etc., and a great old Tiltall tripood. Recently I have been having serious shoulder problems from many years toting a heavy camera bag. I need to get a ba ckpack for my field photography. There are so many backpacks out there! I'd ap preciate hearing recommendations, and pros/cons of different bags.

Thanks!

Matt Kierstead

Large Format Backpack?

Hello Matt: If the problem is with your shoulders rather than your back, select a pack with the best shoulder straps available. In that category I think LowePro is second to none. Camera bags are OK for press photographers that need equipment quickly on the spot and carry only a few pieces. Backpacks are much more appropriate, I think, for what you do. You are late in realizing the problem but perhaps doing it right, now, will help. It seems to me that the first task is to identify the culprits and that means knowing the weight of each of the things you carry, then decide if their are worth their weight in your shoulders. Specifically, get a mailroom scale and weigh each of your lenses and get rid of any that use #3 shutters, then have your tripod weighed; the post office will surely be glad to help. Weight-wise your Tiltall tripod is outdated, a Gitzo carbon will save you grams. Take care.

Large Format Backpack?

I use the LowePro Pro Trekker and would highly recommend it. It's harness system is second to none, in my experience, and there's plenty of room for your gear.

Large Format Backpack?

Matt,

I think that the the weight problem may not be in how you carry the 25-plus lbs. of gear, but that you carry the 25-plus lbs. of gear.

I don't know what kind of film you use, but it could help to get a Quickload or a QuickChange holder.

Do you need all of the movements of the NX? Could you create the same photographs with a Tachihara or similar camera? If you used a lighter camera, you could probably double (at least) the weight savings by using a lighter tripod.

Also, if you lower the weight of the camera/film holders/tripod, you may be able to use a lighter and smaller backpack.

Large Format Backpack?

I agree that maybe you should lighten your load a bit and save your health. I have yet to shoot 24 sheets of film in a day! Are 12 holders necessary? I am amazed that you actually carry around 16lb of camera... If you are able to, you might want to reconsider all that weight and go with a lighter/smaller camera - I find that 2 lenses are sufficient for 99% of my shooting (maybe not for you, though). I use a LowePro Classic, and I agree with the previous post that they are second to none in their harness/weight distribution design. I do mostly day hikes, so it is easier for me to go light - Camera, 6 holders, 2 lenses, meter, filters & holder, teeshirt, socks, windbreaker, trail mix, et al. - all under 20 lbs.

Large Format Backpack?

pro trekker AW was my choice, weight ok (compare to others with roller) Maybe it's too big for your use, you should go in a shop, and try to put all you r stuff in bags... I bring : 55mm/4,5, 90/5,6, 135/5,6, 180/5,6, 240/9, technikardan S45, super rol lex67, flashmeter, tripod, 5 film holders. It's nearly full !

Large Format Backpack?

I carry all of my large format field gear in a Tamrac 787 photo backpack. It will handle 4x5 field camera, 3 lenses(mounted on lensboards), Kodak Readyload holder w/20 sheets of Ektachrome and 20 sheets of T-Max, light meter, focusing loupe, filters, tools, etc...It has additional outside pockets to hold dark cloth and personal items(food, water, etc..). Your tripod will mount to the outside of the pack. It has very confortable shoulder straps and waist belt( to help support the load ). I've carried this all day without too much trouble (even at 46 years old and not in that great of shape). Try it, you won't be disappointed.

Large Format Backpack?

I use the Lowe Pro Photo Trekker AW. I carry (typically) a Toyo filed camera (the older and larger 5x7/4x5 model), 65, 90,150, 210 and 300 mm lenses; all on lens boards. I bring about a dozen 4x5 film holders, a Polaroid 405 back, a Minolta Autometer IVf meter, and a BTZS focusing hood.

There's also a smattering of the usual supply of bits, like filters, a Cabin loupe, cable release and so forth. I hang a small tripod chair to the outside of the bag since I find that sitting and being comfortable means that I get to look through the viewfinder for longer periods of time and that means better pictures.

I like the bag a lot. If I strap it on properly I find that I can walk for kilometers without being aware that it's there, and that has to be the highest compliment for a bag like this. I've also traveled by air with this bag and it complies with the airlines stow it "under the seat" rule.

If there's one think that I don't like about the bag it's that I can't put a tripod sling/mount on it, so I have to hand carry my tripod. Lowe Pro does sell such a mount for this bag, but it turns out that there were two (or more) Photo Trekkers and it will only fit on one newer than mine; something Lowe Pro doesn't mention at all in their literature. The newest bags may well come with the tripod sling built in, but that doesn't help me much.

Large Format Backpack?

I went with an external frame backpack (Dana Designs K2) instead of a traditional photo backpack. The main motivation in going this route is due to comfort and cost. I tried different photo backpack in my local pro photo dealer, though some of them were comfortable, but the cost drove me to a outdoor store. I tried different backpacks both internal and external frames. The external frame proved to be the most comfortable.

To protect my gear, I went to purchase rubbermaid plastic cases from Walmart. I could fit a 4x5 camera, 2 lenses, polaroid 545i holder (or 6 film holders, meter, filters, rain coat and snacks. In the area of the backpack where one would normally attach a sleeping bag, I tie my tripod (Bogen 3021) instead.

I have hiked with this outfit for 3-5 miles and find this setup to be ideal.

So go to an outdoor place, bring your 4x5 outfit and try different backpacks and see if this works...

Peter

Large Format Backpack?

I use three back packs for different systems. Without going into a lot of detail, the one thing I've found that makes a big difference in comfort for me is the width and padding of the shoulder straps. I have a Tamrac something or other that has shoulder straps about an inch wide and not very well padded. After only a short time the straps feel like they're cutting into my shoulders. I also have a Domke Outpack. The straps on it are about two inches wide and heavily padded. It's much more comfortable than the Tamrac.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.