Thread: Anyone use a hat?

Les

Re: Anyone use a hat?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000395.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	209407

Don't have a hat....this shade does pretty well....installed in a hot shoe. One can also jig up a clamp with 1/4" thread and it's possible to attach to that, as well. Sometimes I'll drag out the compendium.

Les

How do you avoid getting the shade in the picture when you're rushing to get off a shot?

I've gotten pretty good at making my own lens caps.
    I use the dark slide to shade the lens when needed.
    No extra things to remember or forget.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    How do you avoid getting the shade in the picture when you're rushing to get off a shot?
    You bring the shade in....and check it on the GG. Rushing what ?.....this is a slow cooking endeavor; therefore, no need for 12FPS action shots. Well, we could have (all of us) somewhat different approaches......

Les
    Last edited by Leszek Vogt; 11-Nov-2020 at 15:35.

Drew Wiley

Just wear a turban and unroll it as needed. ... shade, darkcloth, shawl all in one.

Rushing doesn't mean skipping steps in your process. It just means proceeding at a deliberate speed. If it's bright and you need such a shade, attach it before you compose / check focus.

Every time I've screwed up a shot with LF, it's because I didn't follow the sequence I cooked up for my own use.

In my experience, based on other endeavors, the more you stick to a process, the easier it gets, and the faster it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    Rushing doesn't mean skipping steps in your process. It just means proceeding at a deliberate speed. If it's bright and you need such a shade, attach it before you compose / check focus.

Every time I've screwed up a shot with LF, it's because I didn't follow the sequence I cooked up for my own use.

In my experience, based on other endeavors, the more you stick to a process, the easier it gets, and the faster it goes.
    I am pretty new to this LF stuff. I just noticed that three of my film holders have the 6 dark slides in reversed. I had to count the pictures I took in my log book just to convince myself that none of the 6 shots weren't exposed yet. And people want me to use the dark slide as a sun shade. Sheesh.

I am pretty new to this LF stuff. I just noticed that three of my film holders have the 6 dark slides in reversed. I had to count the pictures I took in my log book just to convince myself that none of the 6 shots weren't exposed yet. And people want me to use the dark slide as a sun shade. Sheesh.
    I started out with my darkslides "reversed" according to common usage. I didn't know the convention when I began (almost 40 years ago now...) so I just did what seemed logical to me. I've never changed. But, I do try to remember which is which and if I've exposed a sheet or not. An exposure record and numbered holders helps a lot here

Doremus

A hat makes a great shade and shutter for my process lens.

It is always better to process an unexposed sheet than to inadvertantly double expose a shot.