Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: International 4x5 E6 & B&W (TMAX) Processing - Recommendations

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

International 4x5 E6 & B&W (TMAX) Processing - Recommendations

In response to ``ongoing changes in volumes for film processing requirements'' (sic) my New Zealand 4x5 lab -- to my knowledge the *only* NZ 4x5 lab -- has just adjusted its charges.

Together with the soon to be levied increase in local sales tax, 4x5 E6 processing will have gone up 53% , while C41 and B&W processing will have gone up 75%.

While I'm all for supporting local businesses through these hard times, its clear where this downward spiral is headed -- time to jump boat methinks, or at least to consider off-shore alternatives.

So here are the new charges with their current US, Euro and Australian equivalents:

4x5 E6, C41 & B&W (TMAX) processing -- NZD 13.80 per sheet (USD 9.67 / EUR 7.62 / AUS 10.92)

My question then ... are there any decent labs in Australia or the States (or possibly on the Continent) that are happy to receive international orders and whose charges per sheet are a little more reasonable than our local monopoly? On the whole, my film doesn't tend to be `time-critical'. I've found that Badger's USPS packages tend to arrive within 5 days or so and that's just fine.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Lachlan 717

Re: International 4x5 E6 & B&W (TMAX) Processing - Recommendations

Hi, Richard.

I'm sure that we could work something out in relation to sending them here in Oz. I can drop them off/pick them up and send them back. No doubt PayPal can be used for the $$ transfer.

Not sure what the prices will be like (I think about $7-$8 for E6; I don't use C41 film and process B&W myself, so don't know their pricing).

I'd strongly recommend learning how to process B&W yourself. You'll soon amortise the initial outlay made for equipment and chemicals into the savings made.

And I'll bet you end up with better images as well!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I would like to do my own c41 one day. I hope that would be less expensive. I know JR French does though I cant remember what chemistry he is using. Seems like the only way to go really.

I am shure there are some labs in the US that would process 4x5 for much less and postage should be very reasonable, sending a few sheets of film should be no different to sending a letter really.

Ilford process B&W by mailorder in the UK on one of their websites.

David

Damn, I was looking forward to getting some E6 done, I could live with the prices as they were, but thats brutal.

I do my c-41 with a Tetenal kit ordered through Lacklands, its been very effective. They can rbing in E6 kits too.

Quote Originally Posted by JRFrench View Post
    Damn, I was looking forward to getting some E6 done, I could live with the prices as they were, but thats brutal.

I do my c-41 with a Tetenal kit ordered through Lacklands, its been very effective. They can rbing in E6 kits too.

Thanks for the offer Lachlan and for the pointer JRF. From what I've heard, there is no longer an official agent for Kodak Film here in New Zealand (though Fuji Film is still holding on). Looks like I may have to look into finding a supplier for TMAX chemistry. Haven't developed my own B&W since my early teens so may just have to start all over again ... shouldn't grumble, it could be fun

The E6, though, is the *real* issue. Putting the incovenience to the side, it would be hard for me to consistently match the quality I've been getting from a good E6 lab. Hence my question ... which firms would people recommend in Australia or the States that are comfortable dealing with international mail orders. I've had a look at a few possibilities linked to from here -- Elevator, Nichols in Salt Lake, and so on -- but rather than simply choosing someone and seeing how it goes (always a bit hit and miss) its good to hear what people think.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney

Just an Update ... Taking a lead from:

Kodak Pro Lab Resource Center
    http://prolabresourcecenter.kodak.com/

I've been able to track down at least one Autralasian 4x5 E6 candidate (who also, BTW, provides a worldwide postal service):

LAB X - Professional Photographic Processing and Studios based in Melbourne, Australia
    http://www.labx.com.au/

This looks promising.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mahoney View Post
    Just an Update ... Taking a lead from:

Kodak Pro Lab Resource Center
    http://prolabresourcecenter.kodak.com/

I've been able to track down at least one Autralasian 4x5 E6 candidate (who also, BTW, provides a worldwide postal service):

LAB X - Professional Photographic Processing and Studios based in Melbourne, Australia
    http://www.labx.com.au/

This looks promising.

Kind regards,

Richard
    I can highly recommend Lab X. I used to get my B&W processed there. Haven't had colour done, but they are detail-orientated in B&W, so would think that they'd be fine for colour.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Love these guys pricing: http://www.samys805.com/film-processing/ apparently very capable and do mail order within the states at least, might be worth an inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mahoney View Post
    ... My question then ... are there any decent labs in Australia or the States (or possibly on the Continent) that are happy to receive international orders ...
    Have heard from Edgar Praus of Praus Productions. He's happy to receive orders from this end of the world Just great. I'm looking forward to having my film processed by a crowd that so many of you recommend.

Praus Productions Inc.
    http://www.4photolab.com/

Best, Richard
    Richard Mahoney

Richard,

You might go to www.alliedphotocolor.com. An outstanding lab in St. Louis, Mo. which I have used for several years with total satisfaction. All three types of processing are currently $3.50 US per 4x5 sheet. They did have a price increase a few months ago, so I suspect this price might be stable for a reasonable amount of time.

They also do many other services including digital files, both projection and digital printing, etc. Go to their site, then open the "about Allied" tab and you will find prices for all services.

I know they ship within the US, so I assume that overseas would be little or no problem.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg