Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What head for a big, heavy monorail when it must not move

Re: What head for a big, heavy monorail when it must not move

I use a majestic in the "studio" (i.e. home). I think I could bolt a piece of plywood to the top and dance on it. But it is definitely a studio tripod. They often have wheels on them for a good reason....

I just bought a sinar pan/tilt for portable use. It is extremely solid, but with only two axis of movement, likely not suitable for all cameras.

I was thinking of trying out my old reliable Bogen 3221 with Bogen Manfrotto 3437 P/T head with my Shen Hao 4x5. I kinda think this combo will be stable enough in most instances and I want to try it out before investing another $3-500 in camera support gear. Does anyone have any comments or experience with this combination?

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Acheron Photography View Post
    Folks

... If money were no object and you wanted stability first and lightness second, what new head would you pick for a heavy monorail? ...

David.
    A beast that hasn't been mentioned yet -- though the Majestic Gear Heads are similar -- is Cambo's SCH. Be warned ... it weighs in at around 2kg. Still, all the movements, geared and friction, are adjustable, and if my memory is right, it will support up to 25kg. Can't see myself ever overloading it or wearing it out. The current retail, though, is horrendous (£628.63):

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/387-520Y/

For all that they do turn up second hand. I picked one up from KEH at the tail end of last year for a little over USD 120. I'm attaching a shot as there seem to be at least a couple of models -- the one below with the red buttons on the tilt and swing locking levers allows one to disengage and realign the levers, a real advantage if one is progressively tightening the movements.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Following the "two heads are better than one" adage, I often attach, in addition to the normal head, a Manfrotto 359 "long lens support" to the monorail of my Arca 5x7, particularly with longer lenses and on windy outdoor settings. Makes a significant difference! Some people even use two separate tripods altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    It may not be light, but the Ries Model A will not move!

Jon
    I have the A250 (double tilt). Definitely solid! And I always thought it was heavy until I read the specs of some of the above suggestions! The A250 is 4.75 pounds (I always figured 5lbs) and some of the others suggested are that and others are up to 7.5 pounds.

I also have an older Majestic pods and gear head. I like the head -- the gearing is sweet. I use it to adjust the horizontal. But while it seems solid enough, it is hard to know if the gears hold it rock steady. But I would trust it for just about all my work -- I usually do not photograph in high winds. But as an all-metal tripod, it makes me appreciate carrying the wood Ries all day instead.

I find that both pods/heads to a great job of holding up my Zone VI 8x10 and heavy glass. I just feel that the Ries can still take a lot more weight, while the Majestic is starting to close in on its max. Plus all the knobs on the Majestic model I have make it almost impossible to carry it over one's shoulder.

Vaughn

the berlebach uni is the most stable i have used. no head is needed, camera can move 30° on the huge ball. the only cons is the weight and bulk otherwise just great.

Gitzo 1570M. Rock solid, relatively low weight (made of magnesium), low center of gravity, large camera mounting plate. Also, the price does not take your breath away the way the admittedly beautiful and superbly made Linhof head does.

--
    Rick

I have the older(1980's) version of this head, its the best one I can find.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...zo_G1570M.html

combined with a set of aluminum series-5 legs, my KMV doesn't move at all. Unless I want it too .

watch ebay for used ones, but brand new prices aren't scary expensive(like the Linhof) either.

I have a number of Sinar heads and they are the best I have found. The Manfrotto Pan/Tilt heads can also do the job.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

http://www.quickset.com/products-tec...pods/hercules/

I use a Quick Set Hercules tripod and head with my Sinar 8x10 P. The whole setup weighs more than 50 lbs so unless you're, well, Hercules (I couldn't resist), it's staying in the studio.

I also use a Kodak Master 8x10 on a Ries with the A250 head which is well suited for the camera.