Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting an old speed to portrait orientation with the focal plane shutter?

Converting an old speed to portrait orientation with the focal plane shutter?

I'm just getting to know this very old and beat speed I just got. One thing I knew that was going to be frustrating going in was the lack of movements in portrait orientation. I shoot mostly portraits...it's kind of an annoying problem. I got this camera so I could mess around with older lenses.

I'm obsessively trying to figure out how hard it would be to make a new rear standard for the speed to mount the focal plane shutter in portrait orientation. I think it's pretty doable, I think it would end up being a square box built up inside to mimic the inside (rectangular) dimensions of the original camera to give something for the shutter to mount on. And then building some spacers on the front to fit the rectangular front bed.

Doesn't seem all that hard but I'm wondering if anyone has done this already? The body on this camera is pretty beat anyway but the innards are decent so I wouldn't mind giving it a new skin.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Paul

Re: Converting an old speed to portrait orientation with the focal plane shutter?

There are several of them around which have 3.25x4.25 revolving backs mounted on a 4x5 chassis.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Converting an old speed to portrait orientation with the focal plane shutter?

For the record, I'm not talking about a revolving back, I would like to put the shutter into portrait orientation and use the movements that are usually only available for landscape.

Just modify the front standard to have the movements you want when the camera is mounted for verticals.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

That slit moves across a 4" plane and there's nothing else it's ever going to do. Now I have a fine old 5X7 speed that you could put a 4X5 back on and have your 5" portrait mode, but that seems a waste to me. You'll just have to work within the machines limitations I think. Kind of like buying a Model T Ford and then fussing that it won't travel at freeway speeds.

I get that. Maybe I'm not being clear. More or less want I want to do is mount the bed of the camera on the side of a new body built to accommodate it. I understand that the shutter is only 4x5, not 5x5. I just would like it to be in portrait orientation. I'd rather have the limited movements be in landscape orientation and get the maximum movements in portrait orientation.

The stumbling block is that the camera body isn't square, so it complicates making a new body to accomidate the shutter.

I'm pretty sure I can do what I'm thinking of, just was wondering if anyone has already tried it.

And your 5x7 speed is making me salivate. I'd shoot 5x7 in that, I wouldn't be worried what direction it was pointed!

Old 5X7 B&J's are almost free. What would happen if you grafted the back of your speedy to the back of an old Burke and James. Ugly to be sure, but might be kind of novel. Just thinking weird thoughts out loud.

Maybe trade it for a Crown?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've been thinking about doing this... would be a fairly easy graft.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Old 5X7 B&J's are almost free. What would happen if you grafted the back of your speedy to the back of an old Burke and James. Ugly to be sure, but might be kind of novel. Just thinking weird thoughts out loud.
    Robert Oliver

I have beat up 5x7 B&J you can have for shipping costs plus twenty bucks (no back). Have not tested the red bellows for pinholes and they smell slightly of cigs. I'll test them if anyone is interested.

Vaughn