Page 53 of 329 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Soft Focus Lens Sales Information

Re: Some Soft Focus Lens Sales Information

Quote:

eager beaver
    someone who is very enthusiastic; someone who works very hard. New volunteers are always eager beavers. The young assistant gets to work very early. She's a real eager beaver. Someone who always asks for more details about an e**y listing.

So it doesn't have a negative meaning!

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    and "beavers" are?

and why are they called beavers...
    It is the largest rodent in N America. It also have a slang meaning a pert of a woman's body..... I am sure u can figure which part....

But, steve has the meaning you were after. I just shortened it cause of my bad spelling and could not go back and look as my I phone hates me.

Jet lag sucks. Holland is great!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Item number: 200605808077 Imagon 300mm 382$

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Quote:

eager beaver
    someone who is very enthusiastic; someone who works very hard. New volunteers are always eager beavers. The young assistant gets to work very early. She's a real eager beaver. Someone who always asks for more details about an e**y listing.

So it doesn't have a negative meaning!
    understood.

but when I read your sentence: "probably after a lot of "badgering" from a lot of "eager beavers" eyeing a bargain"... I thought it did have a negative meaning as a lot of people seems to be annoyed (to put it mildly) when external info gets to a seller.. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    understood.

but when I read your sentence: "probably after a lot of "badgering" from a lot of "eager beavers" eyeing a bargain"... I thought it did have a negative meaning as a lot of people seems to be annoyed (to put it mildly) when external info gets to a seller.. (?)

you are right emil, it can have a negative meaning as well. think steven meant to say "
    So it doesn't have to have a negative meaning!"

but yeah, people get annoyed cause everyone wants to steal the item and does not want the seller to know. my stand is there are really not many deals to steal at an auction that runs to close on e bay anymore......BUT i just got a dallmeyer 1a soft focus lens for $125 shipped to me from europe. i was ROTFLMAO that no one around here but me and one other saw it.....

what annoys me is that i describe all my e bay auctions well with great photos and it never gets crazy like MWClassic auctions.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I nearly wrote "so it doesn't have a negative meaning per se" but decided it was enough with an idiom and an "animal construction" without pandering to Romans. This is not the place for half-baked attempts at erudition.

Eddie, I saw an interesting small petzval from Dallmeyer recently too - but didn't follow-up because of the Q&A system blows the whistle and they are not on my "to have" list. We both know that the ordinary versions of these series are not marked as 1A etc. and they are identifyable through the Séan Dallmeyer ledgers or guesswork!

Eager beavers, originally both sexes, has become unisex for the obvious reason given Eddie. Strangely "Guys" has become a term that covers both sexes - to my great regret.

Note that wild beavers have been re-introduced into Denmark, not too far from Gandolfi's residence!

Welcome back to Europe.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 19-May-2011 at 07:32. Reason: more waffle!

Thanks. I love Europe. I will try to get a visa that allows me to stay here. Better do it before the US Govt can't pay the vig.

Nope. This one is labeled Dallmeyer 1a. turn for soft focus etc etc.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Oh, there are still treasures out there! Just not as frequent as a few years ago, when internet resources and discussions about them were scarce.

Struss Pictorial Lens 9" $1599

Ebay Item 120723830178 (Ended May 13th, 2011)

Interest for Soft Focus Lens: a temptation for greedy vendors

After following a lot of soft lenses auctions on the bay, i came to the conclusion that the surge in sale prices, and the great (maybe in some cases even excessive) interest that many people have for such lenses, had a very bad side effect.
    A number of vendors, private or professional, seem to get totally crazy, as soon as they discover that the item they are selling is very desiderable, and that some people are willing to pay big money to get their hands on the object of their desire.
    I am not complaining about a few specialized sellers, auctioning over and over the same lenses at unrealistic prices. Probably they are waiting for some guy with thick wallet, who absolutely wants THAT lens. I know very little about auction fees, but i suspect that they are paying much less than any private, small scale ebayer.
    What i can't really stand are the auctions (with bids!) abruptly closed short time after the opening, or other kind of wrongdoings, in blatant violation of the rules, that take place as soon as the vendor is made aware that there is some serious money that can be made. I have seen Pinkham and Smith lenses (always the same picture!!) "sold" by scammers... but i guess that very few people reading this thread could get hurt, the scam is too naive.
    I must admit that i feel more disturbed by other !
    I'll report the last example of disregards for the most basic rules. First link is the original auction, it was a big studio camera, plus a nice (albeit a little short, at least for me) soft focus lens. Then somebody probably contacted the vendor - there is a good chance that he got one or more emails from somebody on this forum - and raved about the lens, maybe saying at the same time that the camera + lens combo would be very expensive to ship to the other side of the Atlantic (or somewhere else in Asia or Oceania). There were already bids, but everybody knows that Ebay pays little or no attention to trivial things like this! Despite the fact that the vendor made already public that he was willing to ship the lens free, if the camera was not required... suddenly the auction was terminated (item not available). Of course, after very little, two new auction were opened, and the supposedly unavailable stuff got split in two separate auctions: one for the lens and one for the camera!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150604473507

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cooke-Anastigmat...item2310e53f80

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Brass-Kodak...item2310e57182

Now a small question:
    would you trust somebody who does these kind of tricks?
    do you consider it a minor misbehavior, just because so many people seem to follow the same route?

If i were the seller, i would have felt the obligation to leave the auction alone until its natural end. Am i too old fashioned (not too difficult, being 53)?

have fun

CJ