Page 323 of 329 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,230 of 3285

Thread: Some Soft Focus Lens Sales Information

Re: Some Soft Focus Lens Sales Information

Quote Originally Posted by stormpetrel View Post
    Thank you Emil. This is a very nice picture indeed. The softness is very light but wonderful!
    By the way, did you hand painted the red pattern on the print?
    I did... just a hint

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    It is, in fact, a standard first series Voigtländer Petzval (just on the boundary between those with or without the need for chemical focus adjustment!) with the standard size number 9.
    Here is a copy of the 1861 catalogue.
    Serial number 16,000 from 1864 was a bit larger - total length 72.5cm, weight 100 kilos. This was an "achtzöller" - well over 20cm glass diameter.

I see that it wasn't sold at the auction I mentioned - there were no bids at this starting price/minimum.
    Still not a soft lens.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but the famous No. 16000 weights 32kg and the diameter of the tube in the middle is 29cm. Focal length: 125cm at f/5.8. The length is correct at 72,5 cm

It is called the "achtzöller" - acht=8 and zöller=inch. Back then, they used a measurement unit called "Wiener Zoll", which equals 12 "Wiener Linien", which equals 2,63401cm.
    The "achtzöller" therefore has a front element which is 21,07cm wide.

The numbers we know from lens catalogues came only later. The #9 was only a "sechszöller".

Here you have an illustration of the "achtzöller". The camera had a plate format of approximately 75cm x 90cm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	achtzoller.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	205578

Contemporary photographers were not too enthusiastic about the plates that the "achtzöller" produced because it was difficult to handle and did not produce as 'delicate' images as smaller lenses.
    And btw., there were two of these made, though I did not find any info on the serial number of the other one.
    Last edited by zoltan; 7-Jul-2020 at 11:44. Reason: fixed attachment

Dallmeyer Stigmatic series 1 No4 = £998 = EUR 1.107,65
    (http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rare-Brass-Bo...s/333643439657)

don't really know why i'm posting this, i miss the times when this thread was alive

And yes.....................

The owner of this lens recently put this lens up for Auction on another site, where it didn't meet the/his reserve, so he listed it on eBay instead, I'd imagine he would be pretty pleased with the result, he's one of the eBay sellers who always seems to achieve very high prices for just about everything he sells

regards

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    And yes.....................

The owner of this lens recently put this lens up for Auction on another site, where it didn't meet the/his reserve, so he listed it on eBay instead, I'd imagine he would be pretty pleased with the result, he's one of the eBay sellers who always seems to achieve very high prices for just about everything he sells

regards

Andrew
    Indeed, but I doubt whether these are all real sales - he shields off all the biddings - and he doesn't answer any questions

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Indeed, but I doubt whether these are all real sales - he shields off all the biddings - and he doesn't answer any questions
    Cannot add anything to what you've said Ron, I know him but not that well, admittedly from memory I had a similar experience with him (in not replying that is), however I have to say that both him and his Father (who mainly sells some very decent 'Wood and Brass' Cameras) on the 'big Auction site' seem to have 'the knack' of consistently obtaining very high prices, in fact often exceptional too.....................

regards

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Cannot add anything to what you've said Ron, I know him but not that well, admittedly from memory I had a similar experience with him (in not replying that is), however I have to say that both him and his Father (who mainly sells some very decent 'Wood and Brass' Cameras) on the 'big Auction site' seem to have 'the knack' of consistently obtaining very high prices, in fact often exceptional too.....................

regards

Andrew
    Andrew, you must be right. Even if only part of the sales would be real, they almost all fetch prices largely beyond prices paid for comparable camera's on the same market. These sellers seem the have a steady group of clientèle that is only willing to buy from such a 'reputed and high rate' seller, even if they have to pay 2x or 3x market value. Anyhow, there seems to be one remarkable difference with other sellers i.e. that the presentation of their goods is very professionally done.

My Flickr

Thanks Ron, appreciated. Until you mentioned it, I have to say that I had no idea (at all) that "......part of the sales would be real......"

Said seller's Father certainly obtains really high prices and way beyond what I feel is both sensible and/or realistic, good for him, he seems to be a decent chap. Yes, they both present "their goods" extremely well, mind you I have seen what i believe is 'the set up' that they use and it's very professional and certainly an 'expensive piece of kit'. They're also very fond of using a certain fruit in a lot of their images.................

I too sell over on "that Auction site", I have little choice but to since my main source of income has been 'decimated' by the 2008 Financial crash, Brexit and now the awfully said COVID-19. I'm making a profit but nothing comparable to those two guys and one other, all based in the UK. I'm definitely with you that apparently they have "........a steady group of clientèle that is only willing to buy from such a 'reputed and high rate' seller......", it's frustrating for me, I have to say/admit....... Based on that they're very aware that they can start all of their listings at £0.99 whereas I have to start much higher, I simply can't take any risks in not achieving a profit

Finally, it's really interesting to me to see that I'm not the only one who is aware of these trend(s) etc

best regards

Andrew

Lets push some fair life into this thread and post some last year soft focus lens purchases.

I listed them in original currency so you could add your expected approximate shipping cost and taxes.

2019/10 Berthiot Eidoscope N°3 f/4.5 275mm (€400) (body is ugly but glass is fine)
    2019/11 Universal Heliar f/4.5 360mm (€1650)
    2019/11 Berthiot Eidoscope N°2 f/4.5 395mm (€850)
    2019/12 Baush Lomb Portrait Lens F/4 400mm (Sigmar) ($1300)
    2020/02 Imagon f/5.8 300mm (without discs and shutter) ($138)
    2020/02 Wollensak Verito f/4 9" ($170) (apperture is stuck and could not be accessed easily)
    2020/06 Fujinon SF f/5.6 180mm front and rear element (€29)
    2020/06 Gundlach Hyperion f/4 18" ($3600)
    2020/07 Pinkham & Smith Visual Quality IV f/4 14" ($1400) (there are minor defects on rear element)
    2020/08 Gundlach Hyperion f/4 12" ($1050)

Little comments follow.

I felt that I paid too much but have not seen 360mm Universial Heliar for this or lower price after. So this is probably my 2019 highlight. Still I am happy about all my 2019 purchases.

I missed the KEH Sigmar fire sale unfortunately. That was spectacular! I was really happy to get mine so perhaps it was needed for my piece of mind.

There are currently many N°2 Eidoscopes available at the moment. I would recommend to get one with special extended flange when conditions allow.

I am happy to have 18" Hyperion and 14" Visual quality. These are my this year highlights so far.
    Last edited by erian; 12-Sep-2020 at 06:00.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by erian View Post
    2020/02 Imagon f/5.8 300mm front and rear element ($138)
    Front AND rear elements? Umm...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."