Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First Tripod Advice

Re: First Tripod Advice

You know what I hate? When my Carbon-Fiber B1-b bomber gets cold and it shatters over Afghanistan. I much prefer my Wooden aeroplane.

Seriously, I use a lowly Tiltall but I've owned some of the CF tripods too. Carbon-Fiber is not like your everyday plastic. I can't rationalize investing in the CF Gitzo I prefer, but I have no doubt they are the ultimate-best, and the Chinese knock-offs are awfully good as well.

I will concede that putting a heavy camera on top of a spindly flyweight tripod puts things off balance and is more of a compromise for those seeking weight savings above everyday practicality, but if you anchor or weight the tripod as recommended and per the laws of physics, then why not go that route for backpacking situations?

There are some fairly ridiculous posts from photographers who say they put their 8x10s on tiny Gitzo 12xx-series tripods. Which might work if you only make level shots between 22- to 48-inches high. But the second some wind comes up or you tip the camera down or try to shoot over the tops of the weeds, I think you'd having troubles. A better match is the 13xx-series for moderate 4x5s and the 15xx-series for 8x10. Those aren't going to blow away....

I wouldn't blame stupidity and lack of judgement on Carbon-Fiber... after all I've seen plenty of people attempt to use 4x5s on their metal $29.95 Promaster Coast Walmart tripods.

I'd love to see an example of a cold- or otherwise shattered Carbon-Fiber tripod.

Again, thank you everyone for all of the great advice. Thanks to your suggestions I have slightly narrowed my search to a used, 3-section gitzo. I'm thinking aluminum because I do sometimes set up in some sketchy places and would not want to break a carbon fiber tripod. I shoot in all kinds of places, from indoor to outdoor. I am shooting for a tripod around $300 I think at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by b.cipolla View Post
    Again, thank you everyone for all of the great advice. Thanks to your suggestions I have slightly narrowed my search to a used, 3-section gitzo. I'm thinking aluminum because I do sometimes set up in some sketchy places and would not want to break a carbon fiber tripod. I shoot in all kinds of places, from indoor to outdoor. I am shooting for a tripod around $300 I think at this point.
    Carbon fiber is tough. I also put foam pipe insulation over the legs so I can beat it up and not worry. Spend the extra and get the CF, otherwise in a couple of years you will be in the market again.

Yeah, I guess you're right I should just bite the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Carbon fiber is tough. I also put foam pipe insulation over the legs so I can beat it up and not worry. Spend the extra and get the CF, otherwise in a couple of years you will be in the market again.
    Ditto this. And nobody has ever called my Gitzo GT3530LS flimsy. It is well capable of supporting 4x5 in all conditions; or a pro DSLR with a long f4 prime lens. And still light enough that I backpack with it.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

I use my CF gitzo from 5Mp digital to 8x20 ULF. And I mount is as 20x8!!! Sideways... Don't forger to buy good geared head (another $150 or so)
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

lazy retired bum

It might be pretty hard to find a carbon tripod, even used, with a head, for $300 but if you look at a Feisol (Kerry Thalmann is reputed to be honest, even if he is an Oregonian :-) or a used 2 series Gitzo you might make it. I know nothing of the Feisol's but have had Gitzo's, aluminum and carbon for over twenty years.

Heads are another matter. You'll interact more with the head than the legs. Some like pan-tilt, some like ball heads. I used the Gitzo pan-tilt heads on the aluminum tripods with 4x5 and they work well. When I went to carbon, I got a used Arca B1 and never looked back, YMMV, see which you prefer, it's pretty personal. If possible spend a few days playing with each before you commit.
    Have fun.

Anyone have any experience with a Gitzo G1228, GT2330 or GT2530? I thought the G1228 might look a little too flimsy. Again, I have a Wisner Traditional.

Quote Originally Posted by b.cipolla View Post
    Anyone have any experience with a Gitzo G1228, GT2330 or GT2530? I thought the G1228 might look a little too flimsy. Again, I have a Wisner Traditional.
    That is what I use with my Toho and Sinar F1. It is fine for the Sinar, but that is about the limit in my opinion.

I use a 1228 with a Z1 head for my Zone VI. Seems ok, if a little shorter than I'd like.