Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Digital negatives

Making Digital negatives

I've become more and more interested in alternative processes and since i have some free time coming up thought i would give it a try. I ultimately want to do contact prints and ran across a article by Dan Burkholder on making digital negatives. I ended up borrowing his book "Making Digital Negatives" from the library. The info there seems a little dated (the book is 10 years old). Here's what i want to do. Use a regular photo printer to make digital negatives (and not the imagesetter ones he talks about) and use these for contact printing. Are there any other more up to date sources of info? other books etc? Google isn't helping much

Re: Making Digital negatives

I've been using Brad Hinkel and Ron Reeder's book "Digital Negatives" with good results. There is a web site with some information about the book: http://www.digital-negatives.com

Quote Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
    I've become more and more interested in alternative processes and since i have some free time coming up thought i would give it a try. I ultimately want to do contact prints and ran across a article by Dan Burkholder on making digital negatives. I ended up borrowing his book "Making Digital Negatives" from the library. The info there seems a little dated (the book is 10 years old). Here's what i want to do. Use a regular photo printer to make digital negatives (and not the imagesetter ones he talks about) and use these for contact printing. Are there any other more up to date sources of info? other books etc? Google isn't helping much
    Burkholder is one of the early users of digital negatives but there are several contemporary systems that allow you to better tailor your negative to a specific process. Most alternative printers working with digital negatives today are using one of three main methods today, PDN, the Color Array System in combination with ChartThrob, or QTR, or perhaps some combination of these three systems. If you go to the Files section of my Yahoo group on carbon transfer printing (see link in signature) you can find links to all three methods.

Inkjet printers are widely used today by alternative printers to make digital negatives. Use of image setters is largely a thing of the past.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

This is a link to articles by Ron Reeder on making digital negative.

Thanks everyone going through all the info. This is just what i was looking for

Richard M. Coda

The method I use is to have digital negs made on an LVT (I use Albumen Works http://www.albumenworks.com/digitalservices.htm ).

Start with a drum scan. Fix in Photoshop. Resize for LVT. Send file. They send me back a new silver negative that I print in the darkroom. I have had 4x5, 8x10, 11x14, and 7x17 negs made. I have also made negs from DSLR images. These are indistinguishable from in-camera negs. They are the ultimate quality for digital negs. I have seen the inkjet negs and prints made from them and... well, I'll just say they are not my cup of tea. I also have to state that I am a silver printer (no alt processes) so YMMV.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    I have seen the inkjet negs and prints made from them and... well, I'll just say they are not my cup of tea. I also have to state that I am a silver printer (no alt processes) so YMMV.
    Speaking of tea, how would you characterize the difference: dynamic range ? lack of artifacts ? continuity of tone ? overall "analog" feeling of natural light ?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    The method I use is to have digital negs made on an LVT (I use Albumen Works http://www.albumenworks.com/digitalservices.htm ).

Start with a drum scan. Fix in Photoshop. Resize for LVT. Send file. They send me back a new silver negative that I print in the darkroom. I have had 4x5, 8x10, 11x14, and 7x17 negs made. I have also made negs from DSLR images. These are indistinguishable from in-camera negs. They are the ultimate quality for digital negs. I have seen the inkjet negs and prints made from them and... well, I'll just say they are not my cup of tea. I also have to state that I am a silver printer (no alt processes) so YMMV.
    Thats a idea that I didn't consider and would be a good starting point for me untill I get the alt process down. The less unknowns I have to deal with the better. I looked at the price but could not find any pricing info. Whats the general pricing like for a 5x7 or 8x10 neg?

Just noticed they have a outlet in NYC!! Thats great I could just walk over and get it...

interesting-

http://www.renaissancepress.com/digital-film/

using K7 for the negs...
    Tyler