Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fujifilm Instant 4x5, Fuji Film Holder vs Polaroid 545i, and Press Cameras

Fujifilm Instant 4x5, Fuji Film Holder vs Polaroid 545i, and Press Cameras

I just posted this on APUG and another forum but I figured I should post it on here as well in hopes of finding a quick and clear answer. Anyway, I've found some discussions that begin to touch on this but I cant find any directly relevant answers to these specific questions.

As many of you know Fujifilm offers an instant black & white 4x5 film (Fujifilm FP-100B) that can be used in their Fujifilm pack film holders and which can supposedly be used in some Polaroid film holders. Is the film in the FP-100B pack individual like the old Polaroid instant 4x5 and can the film be used with a Polaroid 545i holder?

I have heard good things (and some not so good) about the Fujifilm instant films and my intention is to use this film with a Speed Graphic press camera that I've recently acquired. The camera has a the simple spring back and I do not want to alter the camera. If possible I'd like to use the Fujifilm instant 4x5 film in either a Polaroid 545i film holder or a Fujifilm pack film holder. I have heard that the Fujifilm pack film holder is too thick to fit into the spring back of a press camera. Can someone who has had personal experience in the matter please confirm of refute this claim?

Any help on how I can use instant 4x5 film in a Speed Graphic (Pre-Anniversary) press camera with spring back would be very much appreciated. Is it possible and exactly what accessory film holder do I need?

Thank you!

Re: Fujifilm Instant 4x5, Fuji Film Holder vs Polaroid 545i, and Press Cameras

Fuji instant film comes in two sizes. Neither can be used in a 545 holder, as it is a packfilm.

Yeah, you need a Fuji PA45 or the older Polaroid equivilent for the pack film. And no way it will fit in your graphic spring back. I had that same problem with my Graphic View.

Thanks for confirming that. So is there any current production instant 4x5 film and film holder combination that can be used with a Graflex spring back and other similar press camera designs?

Japan Exposures

Since there is only one type of film being produced and the required holder does not fit your camera, the answer has to be no.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    Since there is only one type of film being produced and the required holder does not fit your camera, the answer has to be no.
    Notice the part of the sentence that said, "...can be used...". Often creative individuals come up with ways of making things work in ways outside of how they were designed. That was as much a part of the question as the inquiry into the currently available films. Such solutions are often offered in these forums, unfortunately sometimes there are no such solutions and sometimes unnecessary replies are also offered. Thank you anyway.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

There's a Type 55 project under way. I found out while I was looking for info about Polaroid 550 (I have a back that I've been ignoring, because I didn't like the 550 film). They have been working with Efke 25, and also have been able to get the negative from the Fuji film pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    There's a Type 55 project under way. I found out while I was looking for info about Polaroid 550 (I have a back that I've been ignoring, because I didn't like the 550 film). They have been working with Efke 25, and also have been able to get the negative from the Fuji film pack.
    Do you know where I can read up on this? Any link or anything? Sounds like it could be very interesting! Thanks Brian.

Just checked; the PA45 holder does not fit a pre-anniversary speed graphic. It does fit the newer style back though like you'd be apt to have on a post-WWII speed graphic.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

New 55 Project

Click on the image of the negative in his had to read about the reclamation. It looks really interesting!