Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Film exposed in hand inspection

Film exposed in hand inspection

When I flew through O'Hare on June 30, I was greeted by a friendly sign at the security checkpoint saying that I could have my film hand inspected if I wanted. I almost didn't ask, but then I thought, why add more x-ray exposure if I don't have to. I handed two boxes with about 120 sheets of exposed 4x5" color negative film to the security officer, explaining what it was and that the boxes could absolutely not be opened. He nodded, took the boxes, said it wasn't a problem and that he would meet me on the other side. As I stepped through the scanner, I saw him take the lids off both boxes.

I don't know how much light got on the film; it's on the way to the lab and I'll know in a week.

Can anyone advise me what I should do about this? I don't want to spend the rest of my life or sanity trying to fight the TSA, but I don't want to let this go. The film represents four weeks of work abroad, much of it in non-repeatable conditions. I have the name of the officer, and my wife witnessed the affair.

Re: Film exposed in hand inspection

I'd report it as soon as possible, put in a complaint, and if you feel like it contact a solicitor for compensation.

Nasty situation! My condolences. Don't EVER let your exposed film out of your cold, sweaty hands. Unexposed - well - not so critical.

I have some xray proof ,metal coated, plastic sleeves to protect film from xrays. Anyone here ever make use of these? How would these be handled at airports since they would be opaque to the scanners?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Film is round rolls, everybody knows that! :^)

xray proof covering is going to raise all sorts of red flags I'm sure.

Last time I flew with film, I put several pieces of duct tape on the box (one on each side). THat gave me enough time to get through the body/ticket inspection so that I could shout at them not to open it as they were getting the last piece of tape off. Then it came down to their definition of hand inspection (disassemble the box) versus mine (swab) and we didn't get far, so I had them xray it.

If it's a 3-piece box, and your film was in a bag you'll might be fine; you'll have to process it to see. A black plastic film/paper bag inside a 3-piece kodak box is probably about as foolproof as you are going to get.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Film is round rolls, everybody knows that! :^)
    Some of these TSA employees are so young they might not know even that much!

I'm just hoping that I get some old fart TSA agent when I fly out to Iceland this monday. I'm taking ~350 sheets of 8x10(50 being color to boot), + 200 sheets of 4x5.

I'm not letting it out of sight/hands. Bringing a changing bag though, just in case. One of my arms in, the other of the tsa agent.

[B]having a copy of this in your bag:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1035.shtm

will give you the "RIGHT" to a hand inspection if you're flying with "intending to be push-processed". Also if its sheet film will guarantee you the right to a hand inspection(in the USA).

can't be too careful these days, unfortunately some people don't know that film is larger than a 35mm canister .

also: I've found that bringing a junk sheet of film of each format you're flying with to show to the TSA agent, so they know what you're flying with in the box

I've just had them swab the outside of the box when I show them the junk sheet of film(if its brand new and un-opened then show that its factory sealed) and that's usually fine with them.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Doering View Post
    Can anyone advise me what I should do about this?
    Yes. Don't let TSA touch your film. Ever. Get to know UPS and FedEx.

Bruce Watson

hacker extraordinaire

Super bum deal man. My sympathies. Last time I flew home, I shipped everything ahead via usps (itself not without risk of course). I was really annoyed when I got home and had to wait 3 days before I got my film to start developing it, but I guess maybe it was worth it.

Was the film in internal, black plastic bags? Those are totally lightproof. But I know when I travel my exposed film goes naked into 3-piece Kodak boxen; I don't bother to double-bag.

You certainly should get your legal advice from a lawyer familiar with all the facts but FWIW, I doubt that there's much point in suing. Apart from legal doctrines like sovereign immunity, all you'd likely recover is the cost of the film. I certainly sympathize, that would be a horrible thing to happen, but a small part of me is also saying "he did what?"
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

So far, I haven't had a problem with TSA or any international airport upon demanding hand inspection with the exception of Heathrow which, very friendly and very pleasantly, insists that nothing nasty will happen to the film: "I wouldn't blow you!"

The others will merely inspect the rolls if they are open or apply some type of chemical on the wrappers enclosing the rolls or sheets to determine if there is explosives inside with you watching alongside. For exposed sheets, I would advise you to keep them in the lightproof packing that they come in and tape it shut so that you can't just merely open it quickly. But do be prepared to take off your shoes, etc.

Thomas
    Last edited by tgtaylor; 1-Jul-2010 at 19:49. Reason: Spelling