Thread: Chance Meeting of John Bentley (colour carbon printer)

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Chance Meeting of John Bentley (colour carbon printer)

While driving home today, I saw an older gentleman (around my age!) walking the street near Roncesvalle and Bloor in Toronto with an 8x10 Deardorff slung over his back. I parked and caught up to him and engaged him in conversation and discovered his name, John Bentley, and learned that he works in permanent colour carbon process. I had no idea of who or how accomplished he was until I Googled him when I got home. I am, however, having trouble finding out a lot of information about him or seeing his prints online. Can anyone help? Thanks..
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Chance Meeting of John Bentley (colour carbon printer)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    While driving home today, I saw an older gentleman (around my age!) .
    i am surprised you can still walk around at your age!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    i am surprised you can still walk around at your age!
    Hey I walked for 8 hours straight in NYC last week, in the heat (100 DEG) of the day! The hospital stay right after was quite pleasant...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    While driving home today, I saw an older gentleman (around my age!) walking the street near Roncesvalle and Bloor in Toronto with an 8x10 Deardorff slung over his back. I parked and caught up to him and engaged him in conversation and discovered his name, John Bentley, and learned that he works in permanent colour carbon process. I had no idea of who or how accomplished he was until I Googled him when I got home. I am, however, having trouble finding out a lot of information about him or seeing his prints online. Can anyone help? Thanks..
    Richard,

John Bentley is one of the best color carbon printers in the world. I published an article on color carbon in Silvershotz a couple of years ago and John was one of the persons I wrote about.

I have spoken to John a few times, once when we met in Toronto and a few times by phone. He learned carbon printing fron Tod Gangler of Seattle and used to spend time in Mexico. In fact, he stayed for a while in the same RV park outside of Oaxaca where one of my friends had an appartment at the time. This was seven or eight years ago but I think John wants to get out of Toronto and back to Mexico. But who would not?

If you want to know more give Bob Carnie at Elevator Digital a call. He and Bentley in another very different life worked together as loggers in British Columbia.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon