Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues with Pyrocat-MC… Any suggestions?

Nicholas O. Lindan

Re: Issues with Pyrocat-MD… Any suggestions?

Does the developer do a color change when you mix A and B? If it doesn't then something is screwy.

Sudden death with Pyrocat has been reported before, rapid decline over a period of days leading to completely clear negatives is the usual description. TTBOMK the cause of the problem hasn't been found.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    Does the developer do a color change when you mix A and B? If it doesn't then something is screwy.

Sudden death with Pyrocat has been reported before, rapid decline over a period of days leading to completely clear negatives is the usual description. TTBOMK the cause of the problem hasn't been found.
    Thanks for the information, nolindan.

I've just sent Sherry at Photographers' Formulary an email about this.

I'll let you know what the response is.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

When I posted description of my problem on APUG, Formulary asked Mr. King to handle this, he sent me e-mail asking details, wondering about my workflow, but indeed, reason for the failure was never found, and it seems that they didn't improve their quality control. I had glycole version of the developer. I also replaced part B by my own chemical and got the same result -- so it was a part A that failed. It also worked pretty randomly -- it did work for Foma 200, sometimes, but other films came out blank. Formulary tried to suggest contamination on my side, but I am doing the same with all developers, and only Pyrocat failed.
    My advice -- don't waste your time and film on testing, send them e-mail and ask for replacement. I am not sure that replacement will work, but at least it is a chance to bring it to their attention one more time. This is a nice developer.

Good luck,
    Sergei

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Sergei Antonov View Post
    When I posted description of my problem on APUG, Formulary asked Mr. King to handle this, he sent me e-mail asking details, wondering about my workflow, but indeed, reason for the failure was never found, and it seems that they didn't improve their quality control. I had glycole version of the developer. I also replaced part B by my own chemical and got the same result -- so it was a part A that failed. It also worked pretty randomly -- it did work for Foma 200, sometimes, but other films came out blank. Formulary tried to suggest contamination on my side, but I am doing the same with all developers, and only Pyrocat failed.
    My advice -- don't waste your time and film on testing, send them e-mail and ask for replacement. I am not sure that replacement will work, but at least it is a chance to bring it to their attention one more time. This is a nice developer.

Good luck,
    Sergei
    Thanks, Sergei.

I'll be interested to get some feedback from PF. I really would like this developer to work! At this stage, this is not a deal breaker for me using it; I am more interested to find out what the issue is (including if it is my work flow).

A few other details that I left off:

*I pre-soaked as per the recommendations;
    *I clean the JOBO with very hot water between each development. I do this by putting a single roll 120 tank on and repeatedly putting very hot fresh water through, pouting it out after every fill-up;
    *Each component, including the baffles/scoops, of the tank re cleaned in very hot water (no detergents) and rinsed in fresh hot water. I shake them to remove excess water and then leave to dry;
    *Thermometer is cleaned between use.
    Lachlan.

Sounds very much like the developer is exhausted. How many sheets in the Jobo? 300ml would be barely enough for a couple of 4x5 sheets and I typically use 500ml in a tray per sheet.

Try mixing up 500ml and tray developing one sheet and see if there's a difference.

Cheers, Steve

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Sounds very much like the developer is exhausted. How many sheets in the Jobo? 300ml would be barely enough for a couple of 4x5 sheets and I typically use 500ml in a tray per sheet.

Try mixing up 500ml and tray developing one sheet and see if there's a difference.

Cheers, Steve
    Thanks, Steve.

One sheet.

And the theory doesn't explain the first batch working. Nor the drop in "performance" over multiple batches.

I have done 4 sheets per batch using 1:30 Ultrafin (regular is 1:10) using 330ml, so I doubt volume is the issue.

As for tray test? No trays, no darkroom... Good idea, though!
    Lachlan.

Re: Issues with Pyrocat-MC… Any suggestions?

I renamed the thread to Issues with Pyrocat MC.

I used MC (homebrew) exclusively for about 1 year and it's great for TMax400, Tri-x and HP5. In my Jobo, with the same dilutions, temp and rotation you are using, my times are around the 15-16 minute range. Tmax 400@320, HP5@320 and Tri-x@250. You also need to be VERY careful about any residual fixer contamination in your Jobo, it will kill development..Evan Clarke

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I renamed the thread to Issues with Pyrocat MC.
    Thanks, Ken.

As I mentioned in my edit reason, I blame too much Doogie Howser...
    Lachlan.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    I used MC (homebrew) exclusively for about 1 year and it's great for TMax400, Tri-x and HP5. In my Jobo, with the same dilutions, temp and rotation you are using, my times are around the 15-16 minute range. Tmax 400@320, HP5@320 and Tri-x@250. You also need to be VERY careful about any residual fixer contamination in your Jobo, it will kill development..Evan Clarke
    Many thanks, Evan. That's some of the detail I've been hoping to get. I had thought about this kind of extension to the dev time, but couldn't bring myself to accept the suggested time being so far short.

I'll give 15mins a go tomorrow. As long as I get some shadow detail coming in, I'll know that the stock's okay. Fine tuning will come thereafter.

By the way, how do you keep your machine clean?
    Lachlan.