Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues with Pyrocat-MC… Any suggestions?

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: Issues with Pyrocat-MC… Any suggestions?

I had the exact same issues a couple of years ago with MC from PF. I developed several runs which were great and then all of a sudden there were many failures. I followed the directions and was very careful with my process and it still failed. PF sent me a new set up but by that time I was gun shy and didn't really want to risk any additional failure so I went back to my old developer. I don't think it is development time but that is worth a try (I tried extending my development times and did film tests with the product).

Now, at the time I posted this ont he forum and several people who mix their own reported they never had a failure and I am sure Sandy (who also contacted me) knows his stuff, we could never really pin down what was going on. I will say the negs that came out good were great! I was really excited by the developer and was looking forward to working with it, but after the issues I decided just to stick with my tried and true products.

Good luck, I hope you figure it out. Like I said, those negs that developed correctly are a joy to print with. If I were to go back and try again, I would just buy the chemicals and mix my own as that seems to never have an issue.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    I would just buy the chemicals and mix my own as that seems to never have an issue.
    I'll second that. I also store Solutions A and B in affordable vacuum bottles so that they last even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Many thanks, Evan. That's some of the detail I've been hoping to get. I had thought about this kind of extension to the dev time, but couldn't bring myself to accept the suggested time being so far short.

I'll give 15mins a go tomorrow. As long as I get some shadow detail coming in, I'll know that the stock's okay. Fine tuning will come thereafter.

By the way, how do you keep your machine clean?
    Most importantly, I only do one drum of film per session when using the MC, it stung me a couple of times. My Jobo has the drains mounted over a double well sink which is next to an 8' SS sink where my film and paper washer live. I have a really good, 2 tank reserve of highly filtered water which has a spigot on the DW sink. I normally wash the tank and feed channel with about 8 500cc filtered washes, fill 4 more times but overflow the pour tube on the lift in to the sink. I then take the film from the drums, put them in the washer and then dump a couple more liters of filtered water through the lift and then wipe it down. EArly when i first used MC, I had 3 catastrophic failures where no development occurred, always on a second drum, and I believe this to be because of residual fixer and dilute developer in the Jobo, I could probably test this all but the routine works like a charm now.
    I haven't used the pre made stuff from Formulary but my first homebrew easily lasted a year and the second batch is probably older, I make a 500cc batch and that's a lot of developer at this dilution!!...EC

I would also use distilled water, I think if your supply is acidic or highly chlorinated that it might not be good. The ph of the water can be a big issue with developer, especially high dilutions, and a reason people have varying times with commercial developers...EC

Just a note, I also mix my own MC and HD and I had some 2-year old MC solution A that was the color and consistency of crankcase sludge, but it was still active and developed film just fine. I did replace it as a precaution though.

Can you give some of the solutions to someone else who develops film and see if they have a similar issue?

Cheers, Steve

"I clean the JOBO"

One way to rule out the influence of the Jobo, is to develop - one sheet at least - in a tray.

If you don't have a trays, you can use affordable food containers.

Which Jobo tank and what size film are you using?

If you're doing 4 rolls of 120 or 4 sheets of 8x10, you probably don't have enough developer there with 330 mls. You also want extra volume if developer as pyro developers react with air and degrade rather quickly, so extra volume helps counteract that.

I use 1 liter with up to 10 sheets of 4x5 and I have good results with Pyrocat.

Pyrocat-MC and HD has been trouble-free for me. The only time it didn't work was when I left the working solution out too long (overnight). You can do that with a lot of developers but Pyrocat is not one of them. I use a Jobo 2500 and 1500 tanks. I never really "clean" the tank- just rinse it out. Never had a problem.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    "I clean the JOBO"

One way to rule out the influence of the Jobo, is to develop - one sheet at least - in a tray.

If you don't have a trays, you can use affordable food containers.
    Thanks, Ken.

The real issue is a dark place, rather than the trays.

I might run a roll of T-Max 400 through a Patterson tank (don't have the TXP in roll) with the Pyro.

If that works (i.e. I get an image!), I'll try the extended development.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Which Jobo tank and what size film are you using?

If you're doing 4 rolls of 120 or 4 sheets of 8x10, you probably don't have enough developer there with 330 mls. You also want extra volume if developer as pyro developers react with air and degrade rather quickly, so extra volume helps counteract that.

I use 1 liter with up to 10 sheets of 4x5 and I have good results with Pyrocat.
    To reiterate, 1 sheet.

Also to reiterate, 306ml produced good images in the first batch.

The developer is not being exhausted.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky