Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: "B&W" magazine says No to digital photographs

Re: "B&W" magazine says No to digital photographs

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Well for one thing, one requires a darkroom and the other requires a printer!
    Hello cyrus,

So is using a Polaroid camera (or Polaroid back on a large format camera) considered photography? It does not require a darkroom nor a printer.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Hello cyrus,

So is using a Polaroid camera (or Polaroid back on a large format camera) considered photography? It does not require a darkroom nor a printer.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Of course it is. There are many different processes in photography. There are also "photograms" which don't even require a camera! I guess someone somewhere in this discussion made the point that digital photography should not be called photography - but that wasn't me. I do however see the point: perhaps it is time to distinguish the different types of photography by giving them more specific names instead of the generic "photograph" or at least to state more clearly when something is a digital photo vs. when something is a tintype or a calotype or a silver gelatin photo (we seem to be going in this direction already)

Probably in the future images will all be displayed on digital screens with frames around them. People will just be buying software files from the galleries.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I can think of only a SINGLE substantive change brought about with digital media. That is the existence of the disembodied image.
    Combinetrics. (You heard it here first). Digital makes it possible to combine images in ways other than simple cut-and-paste or multi-shot averages. You are freed from the tyrrany of reciprocity, and from the need to simply add up all the time slices of a long exposure.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Combinetrics. (You heard it here first). Digital makes it possible to combine images in ways other than simple cut-and-paste or multi-shot averages. You are freed from the tyrrany of reciprocity, and from the need to simply add up all the time slices of a long exposure.
    Ok, I'll bite. Huh?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

A wonderful aesthetic/philosophical argument, better than most any other I've seen here in that every point made on either side can be so easily shot full of holes...

Hey, look on the bright side....the world might end tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. Huh?
    I got a bit carried away, so put my braindump into a new thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...966#post197966

This is beyond the original topic but David Luttmann in post number 73 raised the legitimate of question of where Sir John Herschel got the name Photography for the process he described in the 14 March, 1839 lecture.

David Luttmann suggests Latin or Greek but I suspect, but cannot prove (yet), that the truth is murkier and more interesting.

John Herschel was the son of William Herschel, Hanoverian musician, famous astronomer, and famous scientist who was a native German speaker. During his boyhood he was tutored, almost every day by his aunt Caroline, also a native German speaker. The household spoke German and English interchangeably.

Early German scientific articles on the chemical rays of light used the term "photographie" before 14 March, 1839. John Herschel, as a pre-eminent scientist, would have been well up on all the published literature and I think he appropriated the German "photographie" and turned into an English name "Photography". Unfortunately I cannot prove this yet but research continues. Even harder is to discover who in Germany concocted "photographie". I wish I was fluent in German because there are a lot of early 19th century scientific treatises to search. Phew!

For the record photography parses into pure Greek roots. Herschel, like other learned men of his time, would not have the accepted an gauche Latin/Greek hybrid.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".