Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glove in handling films?

Glove in handling films?

Does anyone wear a glove when handling films? What kind of glove is suitable for films handling? I saw some cotton glove made by kodak and hakuba , are they suitable? How about those latex glove used in labs?

Re: Glove in handling films?

I don't wear gloves, never found the need to. I've never seen finger prints or greasy smears on my film though of course I always try to handle by the edges. But if you're prone to greasy or sweaty hands then perhaps the protection afforded by gloves would be a good idea.

Me neither.

Are you asking about unexposed film, exposed film, or both? I've never worn gloves when handling unexposed film, I've never seen a need to. I'm not sure I could use gloves when loading film in holders even if I wanted to. I rely on touch and feel to know where to insert the film and to make sure the film is in the correct slot. Ditto when loading the film in BTZS tubes. As for exposed film, I always wear gloves when processing film.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Nicholas O. Lindan

When needed, I use Nitrile gloves. Latex ones deteriorate and split before I can finish a box of them. Costco sells Nitrile gloves that are very good and very cheap and you have to buy a 5 year supply but they cost 1/4 of what the drugstore charges.

As a bonus, Nitrile gloves are great if you have to do something ucky with the pipes, gutters, refuse or gift from the household pet. Also good to have on hand for messy jobs like caulking, painting, gluing, lubricating...

You can use either one. I use cotton gloves when loading ULF and LF film holders particularly with Efke films and I use BEST nitrile gloves for tray sheet developing.

The only reason that I do not use the nitrile gloves for loading holders is because the nitrile gloves tend to be one shot use when you purchase tight fitting ones for proper dexterity as I do. With my night vision goggle I can load six 8x20 holders in just a few minutes so I save the nitrile gloves for the developing process.

If I was loading only 4x5 or 5x7 that are more "rigid" you could easily keep your fingers off of the emulsion area and accomplish the objective.

Just my $0.02.

The best gloves to use for processed film are nylon. Cotton gloves are more likely to leave lint on the film. Not sure if you can find those any more though. If anyone knows a source I'd like to know.

Octogenarian

Wash your hands with soap and water and dry them completely before loading film into holders.

Be sure to handle sheet films only by their edges and notched corners.

No need to wear nitrile or latex gloves, except for tray processing where your fingers will be in the liquid.

Cotton gloves come in handy for handling finished prints while mounting and framing.

You can just use the cheap plastic gloves used in the food industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    The best gloves to use for processed film are nylon. Cotton gloves are more likely to leave lint on the film. Not sure if you can find those any more though. If anyone knows a source I'd like to know.
    I agree. These are the ones I use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=351029&is=REG