Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WA for 5X7

WA for 5X7

OK, I've got a 6 1/2" for my 57 & prefer a wider view.
    120 Angulon would seem to fit the bill and a ~4" Dagor. Dagors seem to be about twice the $$$ is there any reason for this other than subjective choice?
    Protars are interesting too but it seems very few of them online have a fl on them. It's more like a particular Series like ll/lll/lV etc.

Re: WA for 5X7

You can still get the 120mm Nikkor SW, a superb lens, new, from B&H for $750.

WA Dagors are cultish, so expensive. I got a reasonable Protar V recently marked 5x7. It's about a 4.5 inch focal length. The Wollensak WA and EWA are supposed to be very good too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    OK, I've got a 6 1/2" for my 57 & prefer a wider view.
    120 Angulon would seem to fit the bill ...
    I have the older 121mm Super Angulon f-8 for my 5x7. I haven't checked prices lately but you may be able to pick on up for less that the newer 120.

Dan
    Dan Williams
    Enumclaw WA

I'm pretty much tied into the older lens by finances. An Angulon 120 on the bay is $350ish. Dagor 2X+ & haven't really looked at Protars because of my lack of information.
    Are the Series V always 5X7 and if the fl isn't marked on the lens where does that leave the fl?

350$ for an Angulon must be the top, with a little patience you should be able to find one for less.
    The 120 Angulon is a fine little lens, i have one and also the 4 3/8 WA Dagor and i believe you get a little better coverage with the Angulon.
    As far as resolution, i have never done a comparison test of the two.

I was just playing with a new2me 120 Angulon last evening. It's pre-wwii, 1936 or 7. I prefer the earlier ones. They seem to cover more, and the image looked awfully nice on the ground glass with a loupe. It fits a more modern Compur from the 1960's so quite modern for it's actual age. The Bausch and Lomb Series V is a remarkable little lens but at f18 it seems unsuitable for anything but medium bright outdoor use. The 5X7 Series V is 112mm focus and you can get that information here. A series IV Protar is 155mm which is too close to what you've already got. I've had one of those for sale for a long time. The WA Goerz Dagor's are lovely but as you already commented, pricey. I have a 121mm Super Angulon that will likely never be used again. Talk me out of it. It's cheaper than a Dagor.

I've seen two successive 120 angulons go for less than $100 on EBay. Apparently 5x7 gets no love on EBay. Be patient and you should get a good deal.

I'm using the little 120 Osaka wide field. Same as a Congo. It covers 5x7 with a little movement stopped down to f32 or so. I find it a nice sharp lens. Modern Copal shutter. Not sure of the current pricing. I paid about $230 used for mine a few years back.

Hey Domaz,
    I'll keep an eye out, there's no hurry.
    Breathe in, breathe out, repeat. :}

Thanks.