Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie help: 4x5 lens boards (for Ebony)

Newbie help: 4x5 lens boards (for Ebony)

First I should briefly follow up on my thread about XPO or Chamonix: I could just not resist Baxters Ebony 45SU

Now I was trying to figure out what lens boards to get, looking at KEHs list. Problem is that I see there are Linhof-type boards that have straight edges and some have an odd profiled lower edge. To further confuse me some have a centered hole and some holes are closer to the bottom.
    To be specific, I am looking for what KEH calls a 35 hole board and one with a 42 hole (for 90mm SA f5.6 and 210mm Fuji W-CM f5.6). I would be very grateful, if some kind soul could point out exactly which ones that are the ones I need.

I feel a bit stupid for not being able to figure it out, but my google-fu has definitely been weak on this matter.

Thanks!

Re: Newbie help: 4x5 lens boards (for Ebony)

Ah, I got the help I needed. Off course the ones that look like the Ebony ones:

Lachlan 717

Linhof boards. Come in #00, #0, #1, #3 etc, rather than mm diameter. Refers to the shutter size you intend to attach.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Octogenarian

You need a Copal 0 for the 90SA and a Copal 1 for the 210 CM-W.

Email: jim@mpex.com

He stocks genuine Ebony lens boards.

They are slightly more expensive than the off-brand Linhof Tech type boards, but worth the extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    You need a Copal 0 for the 90SA and a Copal 1 for the 210 CM-W.

Email: jim@mpex.com

He stocks genuine Ebony lens boards.

They are slightly more expensive than the off-brand Linhof Tech type boards, but worth the extra cost.
    In what way were they worth the extra cost? I'm curious because I've owned two Ebony cameras and used an Ebony board, Linhof boards, Linhof knock-off boards, and a Wista board on them. I didn't see any difference among them in terms of use on the camera. One of the knock-off boards was the Adorama brand and it felt a little flimsy compared to the others but even it worked fine. The Ebony board was actually cosmetically the worst of the bunch, it had a big wrinkle or ripple running along the front.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Octogenarian

Brian,

When I owned an Ebony camera, I found that non-Ebony boards were either slightly too thick or thin to properly fit the front standard. I tried several different makes.

The genuine Ebony lens boards were the exact thickness. The sliders that held them in place worked smoothly and they didn't rattle around like the generic ones made of thinner metal.

Besides, covered in Ebony grained plastic laminate, with the Ebony logo they looked like they belonged on an Ebony camera (see pictures on post #2, above).

None of my genuine Ebony boards had wrinkles or defects.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Brian,

When I owned an Ebony camera, I found that non-Ebony boards were either slightly too thick or thin to properly fit the front standard. I tried several different makes.

The genuine Ebony lens boards were the exact thickness. The sliders that held them in place worked smoothly and they didn't rattle around like the generic ones made of thinner metal.

Besides, covered in Ebony grained plastic, they looked like they belonged on an Ebony camera.

None of my genuine Ebony boards had wrinkles or defects.
    That's surprising but I'll take your word for it. All I can say is that I never experienced those problems using the variety of different boards that I mentioned. While the Adorama board was flimsy looking (and I wouldn't buy another one from them) I don't recall it rattling around.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Octogenarian

Brian,

You asked why I thought that Ebony lens boards are worth the extra cost.

At no time did I state that generic boards cannot be used on an Ebony camera.

From my experience, genuine Ebony boards fitted the front standard of my Ebony more accurately than generic boards.

I have a friend that owns a Linhof Master Tech. He would never think of using generic lens boards on it. He pays dearly to obtain genuine Linhof boards with the Linhof logo.

His thoughts, he would not use Ford parts on his Chevy.

I think the wista boards fit fine, and I've made my own boards to fit as well.

Curious what kind of Ebony boards you have. Mine are all definitely not Ebony grained plastic laminate, but are actually a genuine Ebony Wood veneer. Are the recent boards plastic / cheapened?