Thread: Film guidance needed

Remember to take out the trash

Question Film guidance needed

I finally did it: bought an LF camera after hunting for a particular model for well over a year. Been mostly lurking here and thanks for all the inspiration and guidance. More on the beauty when she arrives..

It's been a few years since I've shot 35mm and 6x6 film, and was wondering what is the current view on "best" 4x5 transparency films to be drum scanned.

I used to shoot Velvia 50 exclusively, but moved to Provia when I started scanning as the service I used was having hard time with deep shadows, and at the time I heard others lamenting the same with Velvia scans. Is Provia the best choice for color landscapes and cityscapes?

My main reason for LF is portraits and glamour, though. Having very limited experience with film and skintones, what would you recommend for the most pleasing skin tones in the studio? Transparency or negative?

Finally, if anyone knows of a reliable and quality drum scanning service in Europe I'd appreciate pointers.

Re: Film guidance needed

Quote Originally Posted by feppe View Post
    I finally did it: bought an LF camera after hunting for a particular model for well over a year. Been mostly lurking here and thanks for all the inspiration and guidance. More on the beauty when she arrives..

It's been a few years since I've shot 35mm and 6x6 film, and was wondering what is the current view on "best" 4x5 transparency films to be drum scanned.

I used to shoot Velvia 50 exclusively, but moved to Provia when I started scanning as the service I used was having hard time with deep shadows, and at the time I heard others lamenting the same with Velvia scans. Is Provia the best choice for color landscapes and cityscapes?

My main reason for LF is portraits and glamour, though. Having very limited experience with film and skintones, what would you recommend for the most pleasing skin tones in the studio? Transparency or negative?

Finally, if anyone knows of a reliable and quality drum scanning service in Europe I'd appreciate pointers.
    Kodak E100G or Fuji 100 Astia would be good choices for transparency films. For negative film, try Kodak Portra 160 NC. A Google search should help you to find a drum-scanning service.

Thanks.

Googling doesn't help with finding out the quality and reliability of the services, though, that's why I asked here.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

In addition to agreeing with Keith's film suggestions, I like PlusX and FP4 for B&W portraiture.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Sadly, Plus-X sheet film is no longer made. Some does show up on Ebay from time to time and many keep a life-time stock (which isn't all that much for some of us) in the freezer, displacing the Sunday roast. Some fine Sunday I expect to be served baked Plus-X for dinner.

In black and white 8x10 I like the new TMax TMY400, but in 4x5 I prefer TMax TMX100; though I prefer the look of the TMY, I find its grain objectionable in 4x5.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll take a look what's readily available this side of the pond and do some testing.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    Sadly, Plus-X sheet film is no longer made.
    Dohhh... I meant to point that out. I still use Plus-X in 120, often via roll film back in a LF camera. I was typing fast, thinking slow... and got interupted when I was doing both.