Thread: Goerz Red Dot Artar v Schneider APO-Artar

Goerz Red Dot Artar v Schneider APO-Artar

Goerz-Artar Red Dot Artar 19" f 11 v Schneider 480mm f/11 APO-Artar .Which one is better on Resolutions and Contrast?

Re: Goerz Red Dot Artar v Schneider APO-Artar

As I understand it, the Red Dot Artars were made from the late 1940s until Goerz went down in the early '70s.
    They were the coated version of the classic Apo-Artar, designed perhaps before 1920.
    When Schneider bought up the remains of Goerz, they made the lenses as the APO-Artar until the mid-1990s.
    It's possible that Schneider used more modern coatings on the later lenses, so you might see a contrast increase with their versions; but I'd guess that you'd be hard-pressed to see a difference without some rigorous testing. Those Red Dot Artars are excellent lenses. For many years I used a 1950s model on the job; it was sharper than any use we could put it to.

Re: Goerz Red Dot Artar v Schneider APO-Artar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    As I understand it, the Red Dot Artars were made from the late 1940s until Goerz went down in the early '70s.
    They were the coated version of the classic Apo-Artar, designed perhaps before 1920.
    When Schneider bought up the remains of Goerz, they made the lenses as the APO-Artar until the mid-1990s.
    It's possible that Schneider used more modern coatings on the later lenses, so you might see a contrast increase with their versions; but I'd guess that you'd be hard-pressed to see a difference without some rigorous testing. Those Red Dot Artars are excellent lenses. For many years I used a 1950s model on the job; it was sharper than any use we could put it to.
    Thank you very much for your reply.and vs GOERZ DAGOR Serie III Nr.B 19inch (480mm) F 7.7 ,which one is more outstanding performance in contrast, in the resolution.