Thread: Sun River Oregon

Sun River Oregon

I'm going to Sun River Oregon next week and would love some advice on a few good places to make images.

I have never been to Oregon and I won't have an enormous amount of shooting time so I want to make the most of it.

I love crazy looking trees and water so any leads would be great. Thanks!

www.timeandlight.com

Re: Sun River Oregon

Century Drive (Oregon Route 372) around Mt. Bachelor. Lot's of water reflection opportunites of Bachelor and South Sister (e.g. Sparks Lake, Lava Lakes). Crane Prarie reservoir has flooded trees (snags). McKenzie pass out of Sisters for lava flows (also East Lake/Palina Lake south of Bend).
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Octogenarian

Brian Ellis should chime in here.

He lives in Bend, OR.

I spent three years in Bend back in the early 1980's, and we often visited Sun River.

Lots of nice scenes along the Deschutes River. Watch out for the mosquitoes.

Most of my LF shooting was done along the Oregon coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    Century Drive (Oregon Route 372) around Mt. Bachelor. Lot's of water reflection opportunites of Bachelor and South Sister (e.g. Sparks Lake, Lava Lakes). Crane Prarie reservoir has flooded trees (snags). McKenzie pass out of Sisters for lava flows (also East Lake/Palina Lake south of Bend).
    To add a bit to what Paul mentions, Century drive will take you past or near many scenic spots, combining forested areas and large meadows with mountain backdrops. The highway out the back side of SunRiver is a 20 mile stretch of road that will connect you with Century Drive very near Mt Bachelor (Our Ski Fun mtn and photo site). Turning up toward the mountain on Century will take you past Mt Bachelor into an infestation of small and large lakes, some of which are roadside. A classic about ten miles past bachelor is a large meadow overlooking Sparks lake with Mt Bachelor in the background. Then on up Century drive, you will encounter side roads to Todd Lake (verdant shoreside with a rim crag in the background... very short walk in). A Crater Rim called Broken Top. On to Elk Lake, then more lakes, including Crescent Lake and Crane Prairie Lake. Half a dozen or more other small lakes in the area.

Lots of clear running river shots along the road side all the way. Some river rapids and slight falls along the river. Two rivers of note, the Little Deschutes River running through SunRiver and the larger Deschutes River will be the waterways you see most.

If you turn toward Bend when you hit Century drive, as opposed to go past the mountain and West, you will go East about 20 miles into Bend. About 6 miles before Bend you will find side roads heading South along the Deschutes River back toward Sunriver. You can't drive to Sunriver on those roads, but you can catch some scenic river and meadow shots, including a rolling longish rapids type falls called Benham falls.

Then there is also within a short drive from Sunriver to Lava country, up to the Newberry crater. Newberry Caldera is flanked by two large lakes, Paulina and East lake. Pauline has boats for rent, cabins and good dining. Both lakes are clear and have adjacent hot springs.

You can drive to the top of Lava Butte about ten miles from Sunriver and overlook lava beds stretching for miiiiiiles. Good shots there from a Geology standpoint.

Most everything I have mentioned is within 25 to 45 miles of SunRiver. Bend is 13 miles from Sunriver. Lava Butte is halfway between and the High Desert Museum is halfway between Lava Butte and Bend, and is quite an attraction in the area.

Given more time, I would add to the list, such as Smith Rocks State Park, one of the finest and most diverse rock climbing areas in the Pacific NorthWest. SRSP is about 35 miles from SunRiver, through the town of Redmond, then to Terrebonne and East a bit.

Here is a web site link with a sampling of most of what I have mentioned within those distances, with the exception of the lava bed. The short trip down to Bend from MT Bachelor will take you past other overviews of combined lava beds and forest mixed.

http://www.pacificcreststock.com/blo...-lakes-highway

Enjoy your trip.

Bring your most sturdy tripod... as you will be surrounded on all sides by volcanoes considered active (not erupting of course). The bulge in the earth growing near the Three Sisters is constantly monitored for growth. Remember that the images you capture may be some of the last recorded documentation of this beautiful part of the planet before it all blows.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions! Now I'm really looking forward to the trip.

www.timeandlight.com