Thread: How do you compose stitched images?

How do you compose stitched images?

I want to do a project using panoramic photographs and am thinking of using Photoshop to stitch them. My question is how to compose. I am accustomed to using a groundglass and very deliberately setting up the camera, being very careful to get everything just right. How does one do this when stitching? It seems as if I need to expose a few sheets of film, press the magic Photoshop button and then crop in the computer. This all feels too loose a process for comfort. Is there a better way? I am also thinking a 4x10 camera...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: How do you compose stitched images?

I stitch digital stuff fairly often. Sometimes just 2 or 3 frames, sometimes 20 or 30 depending on what the use is going to be and what I need.

I just try to visualize a frame around the area (using your fingers in an L shape can help), and then make a mental note of all 4 corners. Stitch wide enough to leave some cropping wiggle room outside of those corners just in case. :-)
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I dont visualize very well so I just got a 4x10 camera. I think the really right stuff website has some info on taking panoramas- whenever I do stray from the 4x10 to do something like that I spend alot of time under the hood pivoting the span of the proposed shot and thinking of where each starts and stops taking careful measurements on my ball head base which has markings to indicate the 360 degrees of rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I want to do a project using panoramic photographs and am thinking of using Photoshop to stitch them. My question is how to compose. I am accustomed to using a groundglass and very deliberately setting up the camera, being very careful to get everything just right. How does one do this when stitching? It seems as if I need to expose a few sheets of film, press the magic Photoshop button and then crop in the computer. This all feels too loose a process for comfort. Is there a better way? I am also thinking a 4x10 camera...
    Richard,

While I don't stitch, I do shoot with a 4x10. To compose, I cut out a viewing card in the same ratio. Pretty simple. I chose to go the 4x10 route as I want everything on one piece of film. Also, there are too many times when light and exposure times are changing to make stitching a viable solution, at least with my photography.

I have a friend that has stitched three 8x10 pieces of film together. (Hate to see the size of that file!) Obviously, it can be done. If you shoot with an 8x10, there are several alternatives - getting a 4x10 back or using a cut darkslide with 8x10 film. Not sure if this helps you much. Jim

I like to stitch two, 4x10 images, one atop the other, to get a huge 8x10 image. And I do it - in camera!

I think the 4x10 camera is the way for me to proceed. I really hadn't thought of the problem of changing conditions while exposing several sheets of film. And then on top of that all the fun (not so much) with Photoshop. The dedicated camera seems so much simpler and direct. Thanks for helping to clarify my thinking.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/