Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optar 135 needs a service should I get a new one instead?

Optar 135 needs a service should I get a new one instead?

Well the title explains what I am asking, my Optar 135mm that is on my crown graphic needs a service as it has some dust and is sticking on the slow speeds. I have quoted about £60 to get it fully serviced, this is quite a lot as I would only have to double that to get a working better one.

Would it be easy to buy a different lens and fix it onto the current lens board I have? There is a chance that I will upgrade so it probably makes sense to have a decent lens.

Thanks

Re: Optar 135 needs a service should I get a new one instead?

Depends. If you're on a budget, you could buy another Optar 135 used, but then you'd have 2 of the same lens. Perhaps you could find a nice wide angle lens like an Angulon 90 or a wide field Ektar to keep you amused while the 135 is getting cleaned.

The advantage of getting your existing lens CLA'd is that it will then be good as new, or better than new, as opposed to buying another 50 year old lens which may be in worse shape than the one you have now.

Of course if you're feeling adventurous and not too clumsy, you could attempt to clean it yourself; the worst possible outcome is that you'd break something, but it's not hugely expensive to replace either. The best outcome, which is actually pretty likely, is that you'll get it all shiny and working great without costing you a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam: View Post
    Well the title explains what I am asking, my Optar 135mm that is on my crown graphic needs a service as it has some dust and is sticking on the slow speeds. I have quoted about £60 to get it fully serviced, this is quite a lot as I would only have to double that to get a working better one.

Would it be easy to buy a different lens and fix it onto the current lens board I have? There is a chance that I will upgrade so it probably makes sense to have a decent lens.

Thanks
    Your Optar apparently is fine, your old shutter appears to need a basic service. The price you are quoted is a lot less then a new shutter and probably also a new lens. Buying a used lens can still mean that the shutter is in need of service. The shutters are mechanical items like a watch or car and like them they will need periodic mautenance to perform properly.

If you are happy with the optical performance of your lens get it serviced. If you would prefer the performance of a modern lens then replace it.

Ok, thanks for all the advice. I have just bought the camera (first time LF user) and I am really enjoying it, to the point that I don't think I could last 3 weeks without it!

Maybe I just need to send it off as it would be great to have a fully usable lens.

How hard would it be to do it myself?

It depends. Most of the Optars in this focal length are very good within their limited coverage. So if the glass is in great shape you can have a fine lens in a working shutter that is OK for straight ahead shooting. (In other words, not using rise at all, really.) It will be fine for handheld shooting and landscapes on a tripod if you don't want or need to use movements.

There are lots of 135 mm multicoated lenses out there these days for not a whole lot more than you are spending on the CLA. Those will give you significant camera movements and better contrast in certain situations. I put a MC Symmar "S" 135mm on my Crown and have been very glad I did so. Finding the exact right position for the lens in a Copal 0 shutter to allow use of the body shutter release is tricky but it can be done.

I like the look that an Optar will produce, so it may be advantageous to have it CLA'ed because then you'll know it is all good. Even a late model $500 Schneider Symmar can have a gummy shutter.

TBH I think your all right and that I should stick with my Optar as I need to learn the basics before spending more money.

I just need to find some UK LF shooters so that I can "borrow" a lens

I'd take an honest look at doing it yourself. Take a look at the following guides:

Graphex Shutter (partial disassembly)

Rapax Shutter (complete disassembly)

The first will probably be sufficient, but take a look at both. The Graphex is the same as a Rapax, just rebranded for Graflex.

For those interested, the two links above thru additional links on the pages opened will give a wealth of information on repairs for a number of cameras and lenses. In fact I ran across a very simple renovation to use 120 film in Kodak 616 cameras including a how to make a simple film gate mask.

Stefan

I was in the same situation as you, my first LF camera came with an 135/4.7 Optar which had some issues. The shutter often stuck, and the glass was less than perfect. The quoted price for a shutter repair was slightly higher than what you got.

I decided to buy a new lens instead and Im very glad I did. The modern lens I bought is much sharper, which may or may not matter. What does matter for sure is that it allows for a fair bit of movement, which is in my opinion one of the best things about LF, and something that should be part of "LF basics". I got the Fujinon NW 125/5.6, you should be able to pick up the NW 150/5.6 at under 200$. That is a sharp, small, multicoated lens with lots of movement on 4x5. Make sure it has "outside lettering".