Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Re: Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Pretty good weekend. Thursday, a friend of a friend called to asked for help in cataloging his small collection of old folders and rangefinders. Friday afternoon he offers me a Super Chomega C Dichro, a Beseler 23CII with Dual Dichroic lamphouse, and a very early but nice Omega DII (not D2)....the one that had the starring role in "Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon". Not bad for an hour's work. Now to redesign the darkroom.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

older than most

Yesterday...brand new in box Bogen 3047...$35

About 5 years ago I came upon a 5x7 Burke & James view camera with 5x7 and 4x5 backs, two Grafmatic holders (4x5) and an 8 1/4" Gold Dot Dagor in Compur shutter. All pretty much mint. $100.00 total.

There have been a bunch of these threads before of course, but I thought I'd add my most recent steal... I wound up buying a "Fujinar" 250mm f/4.5 from KEH in a gigantic shutter for $170. It covers 8x10 (though a bit swirly in the corners). After having shot 20 or so sheets with it, I'm in love. It's amazing to have such a nice bright image on the ground glass!

Many years ago, I walked into a small camera store to find a Linhof Tech 5 with an 150 Apo Lanthar on it and a handful of Toyo holders, for sale in the used gear display.
    Knowing I could not afford it all, I asked how much for just the camera.
    The owner berated me in front of several clients.
    "You kids want only the best for nothing and leave me with the rest"........
    She really torn into me for asking to split the kit.

She then announced it was 500 for everything, cash, take it or leave and get out of the store if you don't have the cash.

I took the kit and left, very happy.

One of the clients knew I was happy about the deal and said nothing, I am guessing because the owner continued to slur nasty remarks about what nerve I had for asking, right to up to the last second as I walked out the door.

The store is still there, but I have not set foot inside since.

- sinar f2 with 4 sinaron lenses, case, wide angle bellows, 5 fidelity holders, some wratten filters, all in pristine condition - 500€ - this was just recently, and looking at ebay prices it was extremly cheap.

- 4 boxes of fresh kodak epy for 5€ (1€+shipping)

- a friend once bought a schneider centerfilter for 10€. the seller labeled it as helioplan, so nobody found it through the search. since then im occasionaly searching for helioplan

Preston Birdwell

I found a Lee compendium shade/filter holder combo hanging on a willow branch. I did ask a few folks who were shooting LF in the area if they had lost it...no takers. It was a nice freebie!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Came across a craigslist ad a couple years back that had a couple lenses for 8x10. Retired commercial photographer with lots of gear. I walked away with 2 lenses and 10 holders for $500.

A whole box of 4x5 camera parts, mostly B&J but also got a basically complete New-Vue Camera, the real gem in that box was a 165mm Scheneider Doppel-Anastigmat Symmar, yes an early Dagor Symmar. The glass was dirty but cleaned up reasonablly well and I just got the dial-set Compur working last night after I cleaned and greased the timing gears. $25 at an antique shop.

24 pristine 8x10 Fidelity holders, free from an X-ray supply house.