Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Re: Biggest "steal" you ever made...

About ten years ago I bought a 70mm Combat Graphic set, in military case from a militaria guy who had no interest in things that were not instruments of destruction. I got it for $900 USD and sold it for an embarrassing profit. It was one of the few which were not ruined by shooting without film. Oh, it had serial #7.

There is a Chinese saying that one is "waiting for the second rabbit." the proverb goes that a farmer was out tending his field when he saw a rabbit running full speed from a fox. The rabbit turned a corner and, right in front of the farmer smashed into the tree dead. After that he sat by the tree waiting for the second rabbit. It would seem that rabbits are plentiful hereabouts.

I have also scored a few rabbits here and there. One was an auction of an entire darkroom at a school in New York City. I won the auction for $12 but then was unable to sell off the items. I ended up giving it all away to someone who really wanted an 8' stainless sink. I wanted one too, but there was no way I was going to ship that across the continent. I did score an 90mm Schneider Apo Componon HM lens out of deal which I turned around and undersold but still for a tidy profit.

But this thread has to be something you stole? Most recently, I was at the library and something caught my eye in the donations box. It was a 1931 collection of Pictorialist photos titles "The Pictorialist 1931". It is a collection of the 14th International Salon of Pictorial Photography in Los Angeles. Some great stuff in there. Of course I left it there . . . There was nothing else in the donations box and there has been nothing of note since. I may have been back a time or two looking for other rabbits. I only mention this because I need to know if anyone knows if this publication is out of copyright? I would love to scan the photos to share. Please advise.

I bought a Sinar P2 with 2 bellows (1 std, 1 W.A.), 36" worth of rails, a Sironar-N 150mm, a 210mm Computar Symmetrygon, 5 holders, 2 clamps and 3 100 sheet boxes of Trix 320.

$100

Not much of a story. A guy was selling an expensive lens for very little money so I called him and payed him a visit to see the lens. When I got there he had already selled it to someone else and he kinda felt bad about it. Told me to take a look around his old stuff and I found the sinar kit. Asked for the price: $100. I payed and ran before he could google his mistake up.

Well, it happened like this. I had been watching a CL ad for a couple of weeks and finally decided to inquire. The ad said selling Dad's old cameras.
    So I contacted the lister and it turns out to be an Exacta 66 MF with three lenses; two Voigtlander Prominent bodies with five lenses, filers, lens hoods, closeup attachments, etc. a Leica SL with a 50mm lens, and a Graphic Press camera with two lenses. Manuals, cases, etc.
    He had it listed for $1500 ....... ended up with the whole lot for $500.
    Oh, and everything was in mint condition!

Quote Originally Posted by durr3 View Post
    Well, it happened like this. I had been watching a CL ad for a couple of weeks and finally decided to inquire. The ad said selling Dad's old cameras.
    So I contacted the lister and it turns out to be an Exacta 66 MF with three lenses; two Voigtlander Prominent bodies with five lenses, filers, lens hoods, closeup attachments, etc. a Leica SL with a 50mm lens, and a Graphic Press camera with two lenses. Manuals, cases, etc.
    He had it listed for $1500 ....... ended up with the whole lot for $500.
    Oh, and everything was in mint condition!
    YOU WAITED A COUPLE WEEKS

I would have called that the nanosecond I saw the ad...then taken off work if I had to to go check it out

course I would have ended up paying 1200 or so

Last year went to an estate sale of some guy I had always seen at the swap meet and garage sales I was attending over the years

well.. her had rooms and rooms full of cameras.. nothing too exciting..or cheap.. but there was a room of random loose lenses.. about 15 large boxes worth

(apparently he kept all the stuff he bought over the years, unlike me who had to sell or trade most of it off to be able to afford this sport of photography)

anyway.. in old beat up lense cases and scuffed up plastic bubble cases..I picked up about 5 Angenieux lenses.. a couple biogon for contax lenses and this crazy lense..it was like a 75 mmf2.3 for leicascrew mount.. I forget the name..sea-something maybe.. anyway... I listed that stuff that night and most of it sold for the ridiculously high buy it now prices I put on them - before I was even thru listing the lot

need about 4 or 5 of those a year so I can pay for film and models

I love finding cine lenses! I got an old Dallmeyer 25mm Petzval type for $15 on an old 16mm camera once. Got a Cooke Ivotal 50mm on another this year.

The second most wonderful find was a Voigtlander Euryscop. My mate found a chest of drawers in an junk/antique shop. She opened the drawers and called me over, "There are a couple big lenses wrapped in linen." I looked. One was clearly very used, the other was almost untouched. I asked the owner what she wanted for it, so she called the person who brought it in. "Make an offer. It was her late husband's and she just want to be done with it." I made the offer and to make up for the $, we skipped dining out that evening. I have a couple of similar lenses and can say that its rendering is rather unremarkable. Old and beautiful, but ...

$30.

Robert Bowring

A mint condition Rolleiflex 2.8E with a leather case, lens hood and Rollei filter for $199.00.