Thread: Center for Creative Photography - Tucson

Center for Creative Photography - Tucson

I just returned from one of many trips to the Tucson area to visit my fater-in-law.

Every time I have the opportunity to go to Tucson, I make it a point to make a trip to the Center for Creative Photography on the campus of the University of Arizona.

For those of you who are not aware, the CCP was founded through the efforts of former U of A president John Schaefer and Ansel Adams. It is the repository of the Ansel Adams archive - all his negatives, prints, equipent, etc. Seeing St. Ansel's work is the main reason most people go to the CCP.

However, it is also the repository for the archives of Edward Weston, Gary Winogrand, Richard Avedon, W. Eugene Smith, and others.

In its collection are large niumbers of prints by other photographers as well.

The center hosts public exhibitions (the late Joe Deal's West and West is currently up).

The best feature, though, is the Print Study program. You can sign up for one hour to view any two portfolios from the collection. You do not have to be a professional educator, writer, student or anything. You just have to make an appointment and pick your pick and then spend some intimate, quality time with some amazing work.

Last Friday I viewed a mixed portfolio of original Paul Strand prints (both silver gelatin and platinum) covering the Gaspe peninsula as well as New Mexico - all from the early 1930's. In addition I was able to view Ansel Adams and Mary Austin's book Taos Pueblo from 1930. This a hand-printed folio-size book with hand set type for the text and original prints made on specially coated stock that was the same stock as the text.

If you are interested in seeing the real thing, have some sort of scholarly interest or are just a fan of photography, I would go so far as to say it is worth booking a ticket just to go there for a few days. Bring the camera - there is a lot of photo-worthy material right in the area, such as San Xavier del Bec mission on the edge of town, the Sororan desert, Tumacacori mission about 25 miles south, etc, etc, etc.

The Web addrss for CCP is http://www.creativephotography.org. You can view the catalogs of prints available for viewing in PDF form at http://www.creativephotography.org/c...hotographs.php

At this time, they accept appointments at 2:00 and 3:00 PM in M-W-F.

Oh yeah, it's all FREE!

Re: Center for Creative Photography - Tucson

Thanks for the information, sounds like a great stop.

And, best of all I don't look Hispanic so I can probably get to the front door without being deported.

I was wondering where a good place would be to see some original Edward Weston, and AA prints. This sounds like a good place.

Beware! Gift shop alert!!!
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Everything Jerry said. I concur completely!

I had the priveledge of spending an hour with a portfolio of Paul Caponigro's pictures of Stonehenge. Near the end of my time, a couple (who had made the trip to see the AA pictures in the hall, but had their noses pressed to the window) knocked on the door and asked if I would mind sharing.

The CCP collection, and their viewing policy, is truly a gift.

HMF,

I viewed the same portfolio on an earlier trip. It is, as you suggest, magnificent. After setting up the images, the grad student working in the center turned to me and asked,"How does he do that?"

I suggested it was help from the fairies.

The Center also has an excellent library, with a lot of uncommon books on photography. I even looked at a rare book while researching a daguerreotype reversing prism, had to sit in a special room. It's hours are funky, so call.

It's a wonderful resource, (particularly the library), but be aware that you have to make appointments days in advance to see the prints, that not all days and times may be available, and that you can't change your mind if it turns out that your selections are not available or that some of the prints you most wanted to see have been "loaned out."
    The facility is in the middle of the campus, away from any parking, so for those of us with limited mobility it can be a problem.
    It's definitely worth a special trip, but even with a personal introduction to a mid-level administrator I felt the heavy hand of bureauccracy in being able to really utilize the facility.
    And frankly, I was a little disappointed in those Paul Strand prints.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    It's a wonderful resource, (particularly the library), but be aware that you have to make appointments days in advance to see the prints, that not all days and times may be available, and that you can't change your mind if it turns out that your selections are not available or that some of the prints you most wanted to see have been "loaned out."
    The facility is in the middle of the campus, away from any parking, so for those of us with limited mobility it can be a problem.
    It's definitely worth a special trip, but even with a personal introduction to a mid-level administrator I felt the heavy hand of bureauccracy in being able to really utilize the facility.
    And frankly, I was a little disappointed in those Paul Strand prints.
    Interesting. My experience was just the opposite. The grad student who was working on the day of my visit said he wasn't very busy and asked if I'd like a third box. I made an additional selection on the spot.