Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gitzo CF tripods for field work

Gitzo CF tripods for field work

Hi!

I'm looking at tripods for field work, specifically Gitzo's Mountaineer series o f carbon fiber tripods. I like the flexibility of the Explorer G2227 but I'm con cerned about it's ability to hold a LF camera steady for long exposures (15min-4 hours). The larger tripods are nice but big and I'm looking for good portability . Does anyone have suggestions/insight? Note. Camera I'm getting is under 6lbs. I am 6' 2" so a reasonably tall tripod would be good. Thanks!

For stability purposes, I would choose a newer Ries tripod. Definitely rock solid. Not the lightest in the crowd, but it sounds like weight doesn't rate as high as stability.

I use and recommend a Gitzo 1348. Prenty sturdy, much lighter and smaller than a Ries (which I also have and like very much). The tripod head is another consideration in regard to weight. I use a Manfrotto 410 on the Gitzo. It's great, but weighty. The dial-in adjustment capability is a terrific convenience. A ball head would make sense, if you like that sort of thing.

I use the G1549 with the 1370M head for long exposures. Works very well and it is not too heavy. The 1570M head is heavy and big, not necessary for a light camera.

The 2227 is Benbo-versatile but not well suited to long exposures with 6.00 lb of gear. It supports weight that is off axis substantially, never a good idea when long exposures are involved. Definitely serves a purpose just as the Benbo does, and if you're into the shots that look incredibly precarious in composition then you've found a winner. But I'd stay away from it for long exposures. Get the 1227 instead, and as far as heads go you'll have to decide if a ballhead or 3-way head is more important.

Most will recommend an Arca-type quick release system, and I'd wholeheartedly agree. If you'll be deciding on a ballhead, either the Arca-Swiss B1 or the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead would be my recommendations. If you'll want a three-way pan & tilt head I'd go with Gitzo's 1570M. A levelling base is a nice luxury but adds much weight and price. If these aren't important, step up to the 13xx series Mountaineers and throw in the appropriate levelling base.

I just took a look at Robert White's web site, regarding the 13xx series Gitzo carbon fier tripods. It appears that he is selling the center columns and top plates separately from the tripod. I am confused.

What is the 'default' top plate that you would get with, say a 1325 or 1348? Since these tripods have no center columns, per the Gitzo we site, this seems confusing, as well.

What is a 'levelling base'? Or an adapter to 75mm or 100mm bowl?

I want a second tripod, in addition to my 1228, which is not appropriate for large format.

I just took a look at Robert White's web site, regarding the 13xx series Gitzo carbon fier tripods. It appears that he is selling the center columns and top plates separately from the tripod. I am confused. What is the 'default' top plate that you would get with, say a 1325 or 1348? Since these tripods have no center columns, per the Gitzo we site, this seems confusing, as well.

The 1325 and 1348 both come with a top plate. No center columns just a plate however. You can remove said plate and install a center column if you wish. The 1329 and 1349 both come with a rapid center column AND a flat plate.

I want a second tripod, in addition to my 1228, which is not appropriate for large format.

Sorry... sick and a little out of it. Hit the submit button early. I'm curious as to what a levelling base is myself however the 75mm or 100mm bowl are video accessories.

Hope that takes care of some of the confusion!

If you want to know what a product is, visit the website. For example, the Gitz o self-leveling base is on their website at:

http://www.bogenphoto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=4&itemid=11 62

Thanks!

Steve

Gitzo 1227, plus B1/B1e ballhead. personally i think 2227/2228 not stable enough,