Thread: Comments on the New Weston Diploma Parchment

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Comments on the New Weston Diploma Parchment

Is anyone using this stuff? I'm talking about the latest generation as shown on the Butler Dearden web site. Could you please comment on how you like it (or not)...
    How does it compare to Platine/Cot320? Thank you!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Comments on the New Weston Diploma Parchment

It is lighter in weight than the two you mention, and has a somewhat yellowish hue.
    I use it for prints up to 9x10 on 11x14 paper, but nothing larger because of paper weight. For its weight, it has good wet strength.

What is it?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

archival paper

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Is anyone using this stuff? I'm talking about the latest generation as shown on the Butler Dearden web site. Could you please comment on how you like it (or not)...
    Yes there are quite a few people using this paper. It's a good inexpensive choice for teaching alt printing workshops and for personal work. I just cut up a stack of 22x34 sheets into 11x14 sheets last night in preparation for printing Agyrotype and Palladium printing this weekend. It's is indeed a cost effective choice. The biggest negative for me is the warm tone color I would much prefer a white like Platine or Cot320.

I've stopped using Cot320 because of the cost and the fact that seems to be frequently out of stock.

Comparing Platine/Cot320 - The internal sizing of these papers are different than Weston DP making it's coating properties a bit different. WDP is very absorbent, more so by comparison to Platine/Cot320, though neither of the latter are difficult to coat, IME.

WDP has poor wet strength, just about any size sheet over 5x7 has a tendency to rip under it's own weight when wet. The work around for that is to use a fiberglass screen to support the paper.

I would recommend that your purchase a small sample and decide for yourself.

I did notice a description for a paper named Transvel, touted applicable for plat/palladium printing as well as inkjet printing depending on the version one buys.

http://www.butlerdearden.com/docs/We...ent%20Plat.pdf

Scroll to the bottom of the document for description and pricing.

I called Butler-Dearden to get more information put unfortunately I got placed into voice mail hell.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Yes there are quite a few people using this paper. It's a good inexpensive choice for teaching alt printing workshops and for personal work. I just cut up a stack of 22x34 sheets into 11x14 sheets last night in preparation for printing Agyrotype and Palladium printing this weekend. It's is indeed a cost effective choice.
    That's definitely one of the appeals of this paper the fantastic price when bought in 22x34 size!

The biggest negative for me is the warm tone color I would much prefer a white like Platine or Cot320.

I've stopped using Cot320 because of the cost and the fact that seems to be frequently out of stock.
    I'm getting a sample to see if the colour is OK for me. Agree about the price of COT320; luckily I can get a good price when buying 25 sheets of 32x40 Platine at my local art store and I think it's pretty similar to COT320 if not quite identical.

WDP has poor wet strength, just about any size sheet over 5x7 has a tendency to rip under it's own weight when wet.
    I'll be using this pretty much only for WP so I should be OK...

I would recommend that your purchase a small sample and decide for yourself.
    Yes a good idea.

I did notice a description for a paper named Transvel, touted applicable for plat/palladium printing as well as inkjet printing depending on the version one buys.
    I'm getting a sample of this from John Zokowski...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    What is it?
    Hi Bill;

It's paper for Pt/Pd (and I guess other Alt) prints....

WDP doesn't seem to dry or hang flat which can be nuisance depending on how you mount your prints. COT320, in comparison, is very flat; and displays quite well in hinge mounting.
    Btw, B&S is having a special order of COT320; so check their website or contact Leigh Bostick directly. They also do sample packs that may include WDP.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Richard,

Didn't I give you some of the original product to try? If not lemme know.

My only beef with the paper is it's physical weight. I prefer a heavier stock paper. Also I found the original stock to easily mark and/or tear after extended 'wet time'. Of course those with a delicate touch who are use to using the original single weight azo may beg to differ.

I have used the Weston Parchement paper with vandke, kallitype and POP palladium. It gives really great DMax for me with all three processes when the RH was 50% or higher.

The major drawback to the paper is its poor wet strength. Still, with a little care it is possible to make fairly large prints with the paper. I have made quite a number of prints of 22"X28" using single tray processing where the paper is not removed from the tray until after the final wash. It takes more than a little care to process prints this large without tearing the paper, but it can be done.

Overall I think it is an outstanding value for printing with the iron sensitive processes.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon