Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Methods for cutting 8x10 film down to 5x7

Re: Methods for cutting 8x10 film down to 5x7

I was daydreaming about this today, and I was wondering if anyone that's doing this was making constructive use of the leftover 1 inch strip.

Test strips for camera/film holder light leaks? A 1" sooper dooper wide camera? Enquiring minds, and such.

I cut film down on a regular basis. I have rotary cutters of various high quality cutters. NONE work as well as one would think because they allow the film to slip.
    The best I have found for trimming film is a12" Dahle Vantage, Model 12 E guillotine with a hold down. When used with care, the film never slips. Nothing else is ever cut with it.
    I have forgotten the cost, but it was far les than the $400 for IR glasses. IIRK it was about $50,
    Also, I have in the past had trouble with film sliding under mat board used as a guide. A small piece of metal, or metal ruler is far better.

Trust Jim

I use the exact same cutter and method

I tried all others

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I cut film down on a regular basis. I have rotary cutters of various high quality cutters. NONE work as well as one would think because they allow the film to slip.
    The best I have found for trimming film is a12" Dahle Vantage, Model 12 E guillotine with a hold down. When used with care, the film never slips. Nothing else is ever cut with it.
    I have forgotten the cost, but it was far les than the $400 for IR glasses. IIRK it was about $50,
    Also, I have in the past had trouble with film sliding under mat board used as a guide. A small piece of metal, or metal ruler is far better.
    Tin Can

my cutter has a raised edge at both the front and back, meaning i can have one permanent stop at the front and one at the back and just place the film against the front or back edge for the two cuts. if that's not an option, attach the 7" stop permanently and make an extra 2" piece you can place against it or tape to it and flip down for the 5" cut. get yourself a changing tent if you want to cut film on the road.

In the desert...

Shoot 5x8 on your 8x10. Use 8x10 holder, painters tape on the edge side

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Shoot 5x8 on your 8x10. Use 8x10 holder, painters tape on the edge side
    I have a 5x8 back made by Ebony for my 8x10 Ebony. I have custom 5x8 film holders made by Chamonix. I don’t know if they still make them.
    I also have a 3D printed 5x8 camera made by Mercury Camera Works. It was built for a 72xl and has a helical focus. It suffers from vibration a bit.

I am in the process of having fotoman build a similar camera only made out of aluminum.

I have been cutting down 8x10 with a roto trim cutter for years. I have a strip of mat board adhered to the bed as a stop and I only have to make one cut. I trim the corner with small sharp scissors. 5x8 is a very nice format.

John
    www.timeandlight.com