Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Lerebours Serial Number - Rice Writing

Re: Lerebours Serial Number - Rice Writing

Thanks Steve! Here is a better photo of the altered lens #11432. The current asking price is considerably more than twice the amount I payed last year. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS b.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	217687

Quote Originally Posted by quickeye View Post
    Thanks Steve! Here is a better photo of the altered lens #11432. The current asking price is considerably more than twice the amount I payed last year. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS b.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	217687
    ....and the mounting ring seems of later make, i.e. not original to the lens (although less important I guess)

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    ....and the mounting ring seems of later make, i.e. not original to the lens (although less important I guess)
    Hi Ron, I believe that the ring is correct. I have two other 81mm diameter L & S lens with their flanges. All three looked nearly identical to me and they all were interchangeable. It is interesting that the oldest lens (by serial #) has a three hole flange. The next oldest has a four hole flange, and this one with the highest serial # has a five hole flange. BTW, The photo with the lens mounted on a camera in post #149 is with the three hole flange. This flange and the four hole one appear to have been cleaned at one time.

Terry

I am not a person who holds back from giving my opinion and etc. - so I have contacted the present lister of this lens. At first, he/she seemed completely in ignorance of any past history of this lens. A second note mentioning the serial number, brought about a change of heart. I get the impression that this is a new owner/dealer , who really wasn’t aware of the previous listing/return/unoriginal scenario. What happens to the listing now will provide us with more clues!

Sale is unlikely, as there is a similar ( age and price) Lerebours landscape (in the UK) that has been around EBay for many years without a taker.

I have just checked the listing and it was taken down almost instantaneously after I sent the second note - so either a very good actor, or someone who has also been misled!
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 19-Jul-2021 at 03:26. Reason: Later addition

Quote Originally Posted by quickeye View Post
    Upon inspecting the lens after receiving it from France I found that the lens could not be focused and that the original lens had been replaced by the rear half of a Petzval lens.
    This puzzles me a bit. Because of the experience mentioned above, I took a little test with one of my landscape lenses and interchanged its lens with that of one of my petzvals; it still could focus albeit a little closer than with the original lens. Also the Petzval could focus with the landscape lens in the back, and also quite a bit closer than with the original lens.

My Flickr

Hi Ron, the photo shows the best focus I could get with the lens on a Chamonix 8x10 camera. I don't even know if the two petzval lens were matching, they could of just been stuck together in the same housing.

Terry

3 Lerebours were sold today 4 aug - perhaps acquired by one or more fellow member(s)?:

Landscape 9394: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/224546773017...53.m1438.l2649
    Landscape 15003: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/224546814545...53.m1438.l2649
    Petzval 18399: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/224546830389...53.m1438.l2649

My Flickr

I didn’t see these (holiday activities!)!
    When listing is an auction and the lister doesn’t know what he/she is selling - then interest is huge for L et S!

I have rediscovered a catalogue for Bland & Co on one of my defunct computers. I found and used this in connnection with ownership of a couple of UK made Bland lenses. Later, I got the Bland/Lerebours combination lenses included in the list on page 7. I now find that this catalogue does include their imported Lerebours lenses! But this is from as late as 1864, so these Lerebours were probably complete from Paris, rather than the 1855ish Bland lens using Lerebours imported lenses.

They were also marketing Voigtlander, Ross and Jamin (only landscape meniscus lenses, though).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1C8FDC85-6D5A-431A-822D-F7E38F7AF5D5.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 22-Nov-2021 at 17:11.

Recent acquisition - Serial No. 5201 - 1/1 Pl. 310mm F4 edge etchings on both sides of front achromat and on one side of both rear crown & flint glass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1216.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	228475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	228476