Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lerebours Serial Number - Rice Writing

Re: Lerebours Serial Number - Rice Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    "And now, a challenge: why do you think it was important to serialize the glass along with the barrel?"

Rampant counterfeiting, it would be difficult the fake the engraving on the glass
    huh? just engrave the counterfeit glass as well! easy.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Not that easy! You would need a drive axel from a hand/steam-driven engine as well as a very fine diamond drill.

Tiny signature on Jamin lens also

I was examining my Jamin (pre-Darlot) Cone Centralizer lens (serial 11xx) and discovered a tiny script signature on the edge of the rear glass. So it appears it was not just Lerebours that engraved the glass, though in the Jamin it is signed with his name, not the serial number.

Interestingly, I read that Lerebours and Alphonse Darlot knew each other. I don't know what year Darlot started working with Jamin, but I bet one influenced the other with the engraving idea.

I think they needed to keep the parts organized...EC

Perhaps this engraving of the outer surface of the outer lens at the rear of the Petzval was basically to ensure that the pair was assembled correctly - either in the original workshop - or after cleaning? The air space does pick up a lot of dust during the years. We all have seen Petzvals that have two lenses switched or reversed. Jamin has a nice short name - but Lerebours et Secretan would have filled almost half the diameter, hence the serial number use? So I think evan may be correct!

Here is a photo of one of my Lerebours again. The number matches the serial number on the barrel.

I have some new information about surface edge serial numbers, which may also shed some light on Lerebours & Secretan's history.

I purchased a half plate Petzval in the UK a couple of years ago, engraved JFS. Did not look to much at it until last weekend.
    I knew that it has the usual french style indian ink " Paris" and the same serial number as on the barrel "6477"? In addition, there is a pencil text "JFS".

I assumed this was an early "No name" french import made by J.F.Shew of London when he just an retail and selling agent.
    The most likely date was just before 1860, as this was without a WH stop. I have another french lens, similarly without WHS, sold in 1859 or 1860 by Gilbert Fleming who only had his shop at New Oxford Street for these years. Perhaps the french makers were down-loading their surplus non WHS lenses at this time in the UK market?

Anyway, as you have guessed, this JFS lens has a complete set of rice engraving on the two outside glass surfaces. THey are completely identical to those on L&S as shown earlier in this thread. The number is the same as on the lens sides and the engraved number on the barrel.

I am inclined to think that the number is part of the L&S serial number sequence, rather than representing Shew's endeavours. The number matches where L&S would got to in the late 1850's. Unless someone has a "real" L&S with 6477 serial number?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 23-Aug-2016 at 07:14. Reason: incorrect serial no.

Good find Steven! Another Lerebours, I'd say.

Foamer

Superb detective work!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

More news for historical intrested.

It is not only the rear meniscus lens that has the edge scratched with the serial, the front surface of the inner concave/Convex is also marked in the same way. At least on my JFS/L&S 6477.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 24-Aug-2016 at 13:45.