Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Lerebours Serial Number - Rice Writing

Re: Lerebours Serial Number - Rice Writing

Yes, it is 1847/48.
    This is the earliest data I have (1853).
    Looks like the focal length should be about 18cm.
    Something between lens 352 and 353?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24BAD9D2-43FA-42F8-B9C3-48B3B8C1A150.jpg  

well, the front diameter without hood, but taking all the brass bulk is just 60mm, but only the lens, the visible frontal glass, is just 50mm. For the back, these numbers are 63mm and 54mm. So probably is the 352, but it maybe could be the 353. At least that's what i would like it to be, as anyway it's going to be mounted on a 13x18cm German tailboard camera. I've even used a smaller Derogy petzval with this camera and there's some vigneting, but could be overlooked, if you concentrate the atention in the focused center, anyway. Thanks for the information. It's my oldest lens by far. Even could be made in the last days of the kingdom of France, wow!

Btw, there's the rice writing serials in both back group lenses, and I think that also on the front group, but I'm not sure as I should completely disassembly to take a proper look, and I want to be cautious with such an old lens.

Well my 2113 is a couple of years older than yours - but it is exactly the same lens I have discovered this morning!
    Just under 13cm in length.

I have just measured the illuminated circle to 16cm and the focal length to 20cm.
    Lerebours Petzvals of this age will still have the adjustment challenge of differential visual and chemical focus.

yes, 12,9 cm in lenght without cup & cap, but with hood. Covering a 16cm circle it would left the longer corners of a 13x18 vignetted, but I would have to live with that. With portrait or close up wet plates it could add to the charm of the image.

About differential visual & chemical focus I've found it shooting infrared film with far modern cameras, although on them at least a correction point for IR is found on most lenses. I presume one have to found it in a petzval by guessing and practice, right?

Just checking in. Nice to see this discovery I made over 11 years ago still gets people excited.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Just checking in. Nice to see this discovery I made over 11 years ago still gets people excited.
    sure, but isn't it also because Steven gave quite a different twist to this thread?.....

My Flickr

Steven has kept the interest going for sure, looks like his post-count passed me since those days....I've got other hobbies.

Your rediscovery certainly brought about a stream of information about Lerebours which has been found useful by a lot of old/new Lerebours owners.

We still don’t know when the redesign of the Petzval took place!

Did you see the thread “.......Green Card” about what looked like a modified early American Petzval (to me, anyway)!

A little over a year ago I bought a large Lerebours et Secretan landscape lens # 11432 . The lens was in very nice condition and contained the flange as well as two washer stops, stop retainer and brass lens cap. The lens diameter was 81mm. Upon inspecting the lens after receiving it from France I found that the lens could not be focused and that the original lens had been replaced by the rear half of a Petzval lens. There was no rice writing on the replaced lens but it did fit perfectly onto the landscape housing. See photos. I was able to return the lens and get my money back (less return shipping). I see that this lens is now for sale on Ebay in the same condition that I bought it. Just a warning that it may not be correct. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200512_093509.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	217602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200512_094248.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	217603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200512_094105.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	217604

Well done for posting this info and alert!
    Apart from the non-focusing, I assume the absence of scratched lens serial numbers, gave you a solid argument for a refund!

The 81mm diameter lenses are the most common from all manufacturers during this era.

Pretty easy to find the lens - only one in France. The serial number is not very clear but the “fingerprint” marks under the text are very distinctive - “elementary, my dear Watson”.

This is called attempted fraud.