Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Lens Is IN This Photo?

Re: What Lens Is IN This Photo?

Surely this so-called requirement to be a ordained minister of the Church must be a misunderstanding by somebody!

I don't believe that Oxford had such a requirement for teaching staff. The University runs (ran) it's own system with lecturers, professors etc. But it does require that teaching staff have an association with the "self-governing" University Colleges - typically as Fellows. So individual Colleges could have a requirement that Fellow must have at least part I Tripos (exam after 1/2 years) in Divinity. As Dodgson was a third generation at Oxford, he may have joined a "family" college with an organised Christian emphasis. Even in my day - the 60's (I went to "the other place" though - the pale blue), the entry requirement for both Latin and Greek proficiency was only just a thing of the past.

I think it was more Dodgson's way of entry as a Don, via the clergy, which would give him the equivalent of a Doctorate (PhD) as a Minister of the Church.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Surely this so-called requirement to be a ordained minister of the Church must be a misunderstanding by somebody!

I don't believe that Oxford had such a requirement for teaching staff. The University runs (ran) it's own system with lecturers, professors etc. But it does require that teaching staff have an association with the "self-governing" University Colleges - typically as Fellows. So individual Colleges could have a requirement that Fellow must have at least part I Tripos (exam after 1/2 years) in Divinity. As Dodgson was a third generation at Oxford, he may have joined a "family" college with an organised Christian emphasis. Even in my day - the 60's (I went to "the other place" though - the pale blue), the entry requirement for both Latin and Greek proficiency was only just a thing of the past.

OK - now I have googled. It was Christ Church College who insisted he take a religious order in order to get his "tenure" as a Fellow of the College. His Tripos part I were Classics (Latin and Greek) and Mathematics. He got the best result of his year for Mathematics. One of his study areas was optics!

Ian,
    They don't do PhD's at Oxford, they do Dphil's, it's the same as a PhD but different. Oxford, Cambridge & Durham Dphil's, all the rest PhD's. Don't ask 'cos I don't know. Just because others were photographing young pre-pubersent girls in the nude really does not justify his position, especially if he had possibly taken religous orders.
    Steven, I know that in the early days a degree in "religous stuff" was necessary but I have no idea when that ended. Just to upset you a qualification in ancient Greek is no longer needed to study Classics at the University of Oxford (but I suspect that it helps). Didn't know about the optics thing, thanks for that. As far as I can find out Dodgson did go to "the family college".
    Best Wishes,
    Pete.

...but I'm still waiting to find out what lens he was holding!

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    ...but I'm still waiting to find out what lens he was holding!
    LOL!! Now I remember why I posted!!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

I bet it was a Ross lens

Pete, as there are probably just a handful of "normal schools" with Greek masters because the extinction of State Grammar Schools, it doesn't surprise me! I was in the period with a Latin requirement which gave me great difficulty ( along with German!) but there was a Greek class for the real Classics scholars.

I think the objective is a very large rectilinear.

Latin was compulsory in the first two years of my secondary education, that was only 12 years ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Ian,
    They don't do PhD's at Oxford, they do Dphil's, it's the same as a PhD but different. Oxford, Cambridge & Durham Dphil's, all the rest PhD's. Don't ask 'cos I don't know.
    Pete.
    My brother in law did his PhD at Oxford, it means Doctor of Philosophy in Latin -Philosophiae Doctor. Dphil is more a slang/abbreviated term, not used officially by any University.

Ian