Thread: Large Photo Framing and Mounting

Large Photo Framing and Mounting

So I bought my first large photo piece (40 x 60) and my head is still spinning from all the options at my fingertips and then spinning some more at trying to find the best place to mount and frame this puppy. I have two things I'm trying to understand.

Mounting - It sounds like given the size of the photo back mounting make sense. I'm leaning towards aluminum or dibond. What is far more complicated for me to understand is face mounting or diasec. My gut says not to do this because it's permanent only been around for 40 years, etc. and should I ever want to sell the piece I'd rather be able to give it to whoever purchases it simply back mounted and let them choose if they want to face mount it. I like the idea of being able to swap out the plexi if it gets scratched too. At the same time it sounds like face mounting degradation won't be an issue in my life time (i.e., were talking about a piece lasting 200 years v. 500 years). Is there a real big downside to not face mounting? Seriously I've gotten so much mixed thoughts on this and I get that at the end of the day most of these people just want to do whatever you tell them to do, but trying to get some perspective. It also sounds like techincally face mounting is not 'archival'.

Who to use? - I'm in NYC and I've met with Duggal who my gallery uses a lot. The only thing I don't like here is they won't frame. I met with Laumont too and the pricing is roughly comparable to Duggal. Finally I just had a conversation with Downing Frames via a colleague who has bought pieces from a gallery that likes them. Sounds like they do their mounting JR Mounting. Any suggestions here? It sounds like both Duggal and Laumont are pretty good choices, but I know very little and it is hard to find out more info.

Oh man. Seriously head spinning. Help me out!

Re: Large Photo Framing and Mounting

I wouldn't face mount a photo that I bought. I think that face mounting is a decision to be made by the artist and not the collector.

Aluminum and Cintra seem to be the best choices for mounting large photos. Cintra is much lighter and I think more widely used. I think Laumont is your best bet for the laminating and their framing is okay too. If you want another framer, try Squid Frames in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn at 718-499-1584. They frame for many galleries, collectors and artists.

Good luck.

Thanks, my gut says not to face mount as well, though the gallery that showed the pieces did it for the show.

I met with Laumont and they did seem very professional. When you say laminating do you mean back mounting?

Interestingly the latest call I just had suggested mounting to 4 ply first and then to dibond or aluminum. Apparently it allows the print to breathe a bit.

The frustrating part with framing is that I'd like to all get it done at one place so it sounds like while some people are excellent framers they are not as good as mounters and at the same time I don't want to be sending the piece all over town... But I mean if that's what it takes to get the job done, so be it!

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Barall View Post
    I wouldn't face mount a photo that I bought. I think that face mounting is a decision to be made by the artist and not the collector.

Aluminum and Cintra seem to be the best choices for mounting large photos. Cintra is much lighter and I think more widely used. I think Laumont is your best bet for the laminating and their framing is okay too. If you want another framer, try Squid Frames in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn at 718-499-1584. They frame for many galleries, collectors and artists.

Good luck.