Thread: 8x10 film processing

8x10 film processing

I'm new to 8x10. Have always used a tank for processing 4x5 film. I figured I'd have to process 8x10 film in a tray, however, I see tubes on ebay for processing prints, pretty cheap. Is it possible to use a tube like this for processing 8x10 film? Is there a better way? I'd appreciate any info, and I thank you in advance.

Re: 8x10 film processing

I user a 3 tank Combi system for 4x5. Allows me to do a dip and dunk process.

For 8x10, trays work really well. Tanks will work but now you have to buy a bunch of stuff to clean and maintain. Motors are cheap, but high end drums can be pricey (jobo expert is around $500). As for paper drums, they don't circulate chemistry on the back side of the film very well and usually require some sort of work around. ie presoak, plastic screens, etc.

It really is your choice. All will get the job done. If I were inclined to spend some bucks, it would be for Ken Lees setup for developing by inspection (in trays obviously).

bob

Are they BTZS tubes? If so, they are great. Economical. Only need 250ml of working solution.
    I use tubes or trays. Seriously though, you can't beat tray development, one sheet at a time.

Bottom line: Print processing tubes work fine with some film/developer combos, and leave marks with others. I do all my 8x10 B&W negative processing in 'paper' processing tubes without problems but 'your milage may vary.' (T-max film/T-max developer)

I really like the Unicolor processor for developing 8x10 film and save my trays for prints. Click on the LF Home Page on the blue banner at the top of this page and look for Graywolf Philip's article.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I can only comment on the Jobo option. I was patient and found mine for $200 used. It's still pretty pricey and if you don't mind one at a time in a tray then that's by far your cheapest/best method.

Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist View Post
    I can only comment on the Jobo option. I was patient and found mine for $200 used. It's still pretty pricey and if you don't mind one at a time in a tray then that's by far your cheapest/best method.

Alan.
    I usually do 4 at a time, FWIW. Take a little practice, that all.

I don't like gloves, at least not any I have tried, the shortcoming is I'm excluded from using pyro. I use HC110 typically.

Maybe there is a glove with good tactile feel, don't know it.

bob

I process my 8x10 in home made pvc tubes made from 3" schedule 40 electrical pvc and off the shelf caps and connectors. Cost me about 40.00 for 3 tubes.
    Tim

I checked out the night vision goggles. Nice idea. For my first foray in to the darkroom with 8x10, I'll go with trays, one at a time. With the cost of film, I won't be shooting multitudes of it. Instead, I'll use it for special shots on especially good shooting days. I shoot mostly 4x5, Ilford Delta 100, with HC-110. I really like T-Max 100, but it has become pricey. I am getting very consistent results with this combo, so I'll start out with Delta 100. Now to figure out, one litre of HC-110, Dilution B, good for maybe 3-4 sheets?

I think TMax 100 and HC110 are a great combo.

6 minutes at 68 deg is damn near perfect.

One liter is more like 4-6 sheets, but for 8x10 I'd recommend 2 liters in your trays..

bob