Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a digital equivalent to a contact print

Re: Is there a digital equivalent to a contact print

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    Does it require an overspray or are you using a glop position.

I am perfect on screen, getting from screen to paper is the challenge.

I'll check out your site, does this newer technology apply to the older printers, I have a virtually unused 7600. Used just enough to keep the ink lines/manifold clear and flowing. I'd like to dedicate it to B&W if I can use Harmon or Silk Gold. There may be newer papers with good sharpness and a deep black.

bob
    Yes. If you've seen Epson ABW prints their ink and the paper white (highlights) do not have the same gloss differential. Also, sometimes there is bronzing. So the Piezography Glossy process is a perfect representation of the old darkroom air dried or glossy look. No bronzing - no differential. paper and ink as one... and that requires the over print. But it also requires more shades and positions than the seven ink printers. So we only offer it on eight+ position printers.

http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPres...aphy-products/

On that page is the Piezography Glossy white paper and you can see which printers we support for glossy only, matte and glossy, or matte only.

regards,

Jon Cone
    Piezography

no.no.no

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    What is the maximum resolution of a wet print - greater than 480 dpi??

bob
    The resolution of some silver gelatin papers is well above 40 lp/mm, or over 2000 spi.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The resolution of some silver gelatin papers is well above 40 lp/mm, or over 2000 spi.

Sandy King
    That I did not know. Then what I am hoping to achieve is not possible. The only question that comes to mind, can the eye discern this level of detail w/o an optical aid (loupe).

bob

Richard M. Coda

I can only speak for myself, but I can tell a silver print from a digital print from a mile away. The ONLY option I have seen that comes close is the hybrid process Sandy mention. I have used that on several occasions, mostly to salvage a bad negative of a good image, and even once for an image that started on a DSLR. Had a 4x5 TMax neg made that I now print in the darkroom. You'd never know the difference.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Sandy King
    This is a really interesting thread for me, having just fallen in love with getting even basic contact prints done at my lab of 8x10 b&w negs and seeing how "liquid" they are for lack of a better word.

I want to understand the terms and the math. 40 whats per millimeter? "line pairs"? What exactly does that mean? Is one line in the pair equal to one spi?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For example, you can make a synthesizer sound almost exactly like a piano, but what is the point. Why not create something unique?
    Thats probably not a good example, I have a 1961 Steinway L, but I use sampled grands in the studio as its much more convenient, and nobody knows difference on the records

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    This is a really interesting thread for me, having just fallen in love with getting even basic contact prints done at my lab of 8x10 b&w negs and seeing how "liquid" they are for lack of a better word.

I want to understand the terms and the math. 40 whats per millimeter? "line pairs"? What exactly does that mean? Is one line in the pair equal to one spi?
    Yes, that is line pairs per millimeter. A line pair is one black line and one white line. A line pair is a measurement of resolution that is related to samples per inch by spi/25.4/2 = lp/mm, or lp/mm X 25.4 X 2 = spi.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Yes, that is line pairs per millimeter. A line pair is one black line and one white line. A line pair is a measurement of resolution that is related to samples per inch by spi/25.4/2 = lp/mm, or lp/mm X 25.4 X 2 = spi.

Sandy
    Perfect, thanks for that.

Just one more thing. Are spi's and dpi's in digital directly comparable? So does 300 spi mean the same resolution as 300 dpi in digital?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    Thats probably not a good example, I have a 1961 Steinway L, but I use sampled grands in the studio as its much more convenient, and nobody knows difference on the records
    Convenient, good enough and nobody knows the difference...the great mediocrity.