Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Threading a lens board hole...who does that?? :p

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Threading a lens board hole...who does that?? :p

I'd like to thread a lens board hole but I'm no machinist. I know that SK Grimes would happily do it and charge me more than the board cost in the first place. Not my first choice.

So, my question...is there anyone within shouting distance of the SF Bay Area that does have the means and skill to get this done?

PM me if you have a contact.

THNX!
    ~Mark

Re: Threading a lens board hole...who does that?? :p

Sorry, but do you really thread the lens board? Not saying that it's not done, but I haven't seen it. I may well be missing something.

I think that a more standard method is to have the machinist make a threaded retaining ring, and then the ring is screwed into the lens board.

SK Grimes does do that. I'm sure a good local machinist could do the same once they understand the requirements. Which is cheaper will depend on the machinist I suppose. If you can find a skilled amateur you'd probably do well to bribe him with whatever libations he prefers.

You're right, Nathan. Generally speaking you use a mounting flange or a retaining ring to attach lens to board.

In this instance, there isn't room for the custom mounting flange that was made for the lens by its previous owner (it's a rectangular cast aluminum plate with mounting holes near the corners). Threading the board is actually the most efficient use of space (it's a technika-style board...tiny) given that the lens is a 24" APO Artar in barrel.

In essence, it's as if I'm making the board and flange/ring an all-in-one proposition.

~Mark

Yes it is done. I have done it in the pass. Not a good practice because you can not position the shutter controls in an easy to work with position. A flange or retaining ring is better.

Cost figure an hour plus of time to set up the lathe and do the work.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Thanks, Richard! I agree. I think our posts passed each other on the way to the site.

I've noted the limitations I'm working with in post #3.

I'll be making a front-mount Packard shutter attachment, I just need to get the barrel on a smaller "universal" board so I can use it with both of my cameras. I have the board already. It's bored out to 76mm and the barrel threads are in the neighborhood 77-78mm.

~Mark

Ok Mark, that makes sense. Sorry for the lecture

You know, we need to find a retired machinist and let him know how easy it would be to make good pocket money doing little projects like this. Not to take anything away from SK Grimes, but I'm sure there are plenty of us with projects and tight budgets that would love an alternative.

PS - I'm falling behind in this conversation, I obviously type too slowly ...
    Richard, I'm glad to hear you do this sort of thing! Just found your website too: http://www.lg4mat.net/

Thanks!
    Last edited by Nathan Smith; 5-Jun-2010 at 08:50. Reason: Catching up to Mr. Ritter's replies in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carstens View Post
    You're right, Nathan. Generally speaking you use a mounting flange or a retaining ring to attach lens to board.

In this instance, there isn't room for the custom mounting flange that was made for the lens by its previous owner (it's a rectangular cast aluminum plate with mounting holes near the corners). Threading the board is actually the most efficient use of space (it's a technika-style board...tiny) given that the lens is a 24" APO Artar in barrel.

In essence, it's as if I'm making the board and flange/ring an all-in-one proposition.

~Mark
    You are talking about a custom made board. A Linhof Tech style board is to thin for the minimum amount of threads you need to hold the lens.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Mark, I've done a similar thing using linhof sized boards made of ABS, you have to drill a hole very close to the lens size and then just screw the lens in. Threading a metal one wouldn't work well unless it was thick aluminum like the generic boards you find on ebay.

Hey, Vinny!

You and your ABS...everything.

I have a Toyo-made board, and my first impulse was to try and thread it on, but I think the opening is just a bit too small. That, and I was concerned about mucking up the threads on the barrel.

~Mark

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Smith View Post
    ...but I'm sure there are plenty of us with projects and tight budgets that would love an alternative.
    In my experience, the words 'tight budget' and 'custom machine work' don't belong in the same conversation. Custom machine work is expenseive becuase of its very nature, as Ritter points out.

To this conversation I'd add, "small plating job" as something that just can't be done affordably!

Folks on a budget, like me, generally need to seek an alternative approach... and mostly one that can be done by oneself.