Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FSTOP Group Issues New Warning about X-Ray Damage to Film

FSTOP Group Issues New Warning about X-Ray Damage to Film

The following link is courtesy of Joseph Meehan at pdnonline.com. The article is entitled; "FSTOP Group Issues New Warning about X-Ray Damage to Film" and is copyright 2002 Joseph Meehan/Photo District News. Click on this link for http://www.pdnonline.com/newprod/articles/article1460.html

Guys please try to refrain from political ranting in this thread. I'm just posti ng it as a service to all.

No political ranting here...just facts. Having spent my entire career as a professional shooter, I took the last twelve years off, where I was Deputy Director of Aviation for the new Denver International Airport. I can tell all on this board, that airport screeners don't give a damn about Federal Air Regs., and they are 'rude and crude'...and incredibly STUPID! Glad to be back in the working pro ranks again, and the next time I travel, I'll FedEx overnight, my film supply to my destination.. and the same on the return trip home.

(biting tongue...trying not to rant...) thanks ellis - good info for us all to consider. i guess it is finally time for me to go buy some lead pouches.

Thanks Ellis...

This wont't come in any better time for me since I planned a trip to Europe mid May... and Richard I will do just that....

Might they x-ray films sent by courier? Not, I suppose if they are looking for guns and knives for use on flight - but they also look for explosives do they not?

I have had to pay for customs examination of several items I bought on e-bay.

My daughter just got back from Paris and used the old, Please don't xray my film because some of it is 3200 ISO. This ploy worked on the outbound trip from Dulles, but on the return from Orly, the guys didn't want to hear about it and just shoved the film through without discussion. The decoy 32 00 roll was destroyed of course, but the slow speed film did ok, but received some extra fog which can be printed through.

I guess the point I gleaned from her experience is that all bets are off, no sta ndard treatment, and no appeal. I'm definitely shipping my film from now on. It's just not worth the risk.

Bill

Bill if you had read the article you would see that the guidelines for handchecking are only good for USA domestic travel.

Hand inspection of roll film in zip-lock bags may work OK, but what about LF sheet film? I'd think security would want to see what's inside a large lead pouch. Any other suggestions?

Fed Ex would be my suggestion.

How about carrying the film on one's person; for those not requiring very large quantities?