Thread: What software for a Scanmate?

What software for a Scanmate?

Is ColorQuartet the only option?
    I am finding cheap Scanmates here and there, most of them come with no software.
    I've checked with Abc-scan, their ColorQuartet is nice but the dongle price is over 800 USD, more than the scanner itself.
    Any chance to run those machines with something else? any PS plugin?
    any fellow here selling his copy?
    thank you for your thoughts
    Andre

p.s. does a CQ dongle look like this?
    Last edited by Andrea Gazzoni; 1-Jun-2010 at 13:35. Reason: had to add a dumb question

Re: What software for a Scanmate?

No, that is a SCSI terminator. The dongle will attach to the computer. For the Mac you will find either an ADB or USB dongle. For windows they connect to the parallel port (maybe a usb version exists).

I think you can run Color Trio as a free package. As far as I know it's 8 bit only, and more limited than Color Quartet.

I have an older ADB dongle and colorquartet 3 software on floppy that I will part with for a reasonable offer (no I haven't researched its value).

I use ColorQuartet 4 on Windows. I have never used version 3, so I don't know how good it is.

Thanks Larry,
    I understand one cannot run these devices with any other software than ColorTrio or ColorQuartet.
    now the question is: can I use your ADB dongle on my old Mac with any newer version of CQ? Even better, can I link it to a pc with the ADB to USB Adapter made by Griffin Technologies and selling on Ebay (see item #180515687478)?

Would your dongle work with any Scanmate model?

Andre

Andre,

I have never used the dongles or the V3 software. My guess is they will not work with later versions. My documentation for version 4 mentions needing a new dongle. If you want to use it I think you will need an older Mac, but I am not sure of the required version. Network the mac and I think it would work just fine. The software is from 1995-1997, so a top end mac from that time frame would be where I would start first. The 3.3 manual mentions it will work with Scanmate 4000 or 5000. Version 4 mentions the 11000.

please take a look at what the brochure from the Scanmate 5000 brochure says.
    same is in the 4000 and PLUS II leaflets.
    only the Scanmate 11000's brochure doesn't lists this feature.

does this mean the scanner can be simply connected to a pc/mac with Photoshop (and proper plugin) installed without any other software?
    if so, where to find a copy of this plugin?

I've never seen the plugin. I don't think it was on my software CD. I doubt it is any better than Color Trio (which is free) so I wouldn't spend much time looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post

I have an older ADB dongle and colorquartet 3 software on floppy that I will part with for a reasonable offer (no I haven't researched its value).
    Hi,
    I have got a Scanmate 5000 but no dongle...how much would you like to get for your dongle plus software? Please reply to my email at the colllege, it makes my life easier: georg.nyman@graphische.net

Thanks
    Georg Nyman

Quote Originally Posted by gnnyman View Post
    Hi,
    I have got a Scanmate 5000 but no dongle...how much would you like to get for your dongle plus software? Please reply to my email at the colllege, it makes my life easier: georg.nyman@graphische.net

Thanks
    Georg Nyman
    I got a bounce back using your email address.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    I got a bounce back using your email address.
    Our server at the college is very restrictive and sometimes good messages are refused and rejected - please use my other email address: georg@nyman.at

rgds
    Georg