Thread: problems scanning in 4870

problems scanning in 4870

I am currently having trouble scanning with the dreadful Epsonscan. I scan BW 4x5 negs and do so as colour negs to choose the best channel (usually the green in terms of resolution) in PS. I prescan>select each individual channel histogram levels>set black and white slide.
    If I place the output sliders to 0 and 255 I usually get posterized and ugly shadows. I have then to let those as epsonscan defaults them, shadows to 18 or so.

How do you scan your negs? I have read everywhere that the output must be placed to 0 and 255 to utlize all your scanners dynamic range.

Peter

Re: problems scanning in 4870

Using EpsonScan and your settings I couldn't do any better than you, as far as blocked up black and near black shadows. I think you may have to change your technique and instead of using the Color Negative setting, use either Positive Film or B&W Negative to prescan. Using either of those settings you can get the full tonal range and good gradation in the shadows with the levels. You can still set the output levels at 0 and 255, but also adjust the input levels to include the entire histogram.

Peter

I've been scanning BW negs in RGB for some time now on the 4870, and I've had no problems. I have all scanning defaults reset to zero or normal, and all adjustments are done in PS after scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I've been scanning BW negs in RGB for some time now on the 4870, and I've had no problems. I have all scanning defaults reset to zero or normal, and all adjustments are done in PS after scanning.
    I used the 4870 for couple of years and made many scans of B&W negatives during that time with the Epson scanning software. Like you I just set the histogram values to 0 and 255, and the Input/Output values to maximum and minimum, scanned in 16 bit, and did all of the corrections in Photoshop.

If this is not working as above something is wrong with the software or with the scanner, or with the way it is being used.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I do a little adjustment in Epsonscan. I move the output sliders to min and max and move the left and right histogram input sliders about 6 or 8 pts to each side of the histogram. I don't adjust the center slider.

I see no value in making significant adjustments in scanning software, unless it actually changes the input to the scanner. Photoshop does it better. For example, I understand that higher end scanners have a gain adjustment that changes the intensity of the light source. I would see this as a worthwhile adjustment. Silverfast takes advantage of slowing the scanning speed to increase exposure in the shadows and limit noise. But other than these types of adjustments, I only make minor modifications to the histogram.